Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Entrenching an American Aristocracy  (Read 630 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Entrenching an American Aristocracy
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/04/AR2006060400782.html

Great opinion piece on the estate tax in the Post.  I can't believe that a majority of Americans have been duped into supporting repeal of our nation's most progressive tax at a time when we're facing increasing deficits and a future of increased entitlement disbursements.  Just one more example of how rich Republican businessmen are duping their poor red-state supporters.  I've seen ads on TV that make it appear like such taxes apply to everyone, instead of only to millionaires.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

redemption

Re: Entrenching an American Aristocracy
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »
What's the matter with Kansas?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:41:27 AM »

It's sandwiched between Nebraska and Oklahoma?

I can think of a few good things to have come out of Kansas (like punk/bluegrass pioneers Split Lip Rayfield), but not many.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

redemption

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »

Here is one view:

--
It's hard find anyone on the left who hasn't heard of Tom Frank's latest book, "What's the Matter with Kansas?"

The outcome of the 2004 elections offered most visible and spectacular confirmation of Frank's analysis of backlash politics. In red states across the nation, working class Americans put their social values ahead of their economic well-being and voted for George Bush. It wasn't the economy, stupid! It was god, guns, and, of course, gays.

So what now? The intractable reality of the culture wars seems all the more daunting thanks to the Democratic Party leadership, which shows no sign of breaking the decades-long habit of responding to defeat with abject submission. Having already moved to the right on economic issues, the party seems ready to don the mask of social conservatism as in the appointment of an anti-abortion Harry Reid as the Senate Minority leader to hold on to a sliver of power.

That's exactly the wrong strategy to beat the Republicans, says Tom Frank. The solution is not Bible-thumping but economic populism. Liberals need to respond to the faux populism of the GOP which pits "real" working class Americans against over-educated, snotty liberals with the real deal. Frank argues it's time for the Democratic Party to return to its roots, to rediscover its lost soul. To become once again the champion of the working class.

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
"But I'm fascinated by the spectacle of elite support for this policy. How can the president and the abolitionists in Congress, who understand the tax and its details, possibly want to kill it? They all say they accept the principle that the tax system should be fair -- Bush officials are constantly claiming that their tax cuts are progressive. They all accept the principle that free trade and competition get the best out of American firms, so what about subjecting rich heirs to competition from ordinary Americans?"

Sad, but easy enough to understand why the pres. supports this.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

It's the home of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:26 AM »
it one little syllable away from arkansas.