Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soon to be 2L willing to answer questions  (Read 1497 times)

DrPepperGuy

• Mmmm...Long live the Dr!
    • View Profile
Re: Soon to be 2L willing to answer questions
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 04:10:06 AM »
Hey there.  I just finished my 1L year at Rutgers-Newark and wanted to offer myself up to anyone who has any questions, whether it be about applications, LSATs, the 1L year itself, summer jobs, etc.  If I don't get back to you very quickly, its only because I generally can't get on the internet at work except to do research.

Great post, thanks! I would love to hear some more details about your internship at the prosecutors office. What do you do everyday? Why do you think it is an invaluable experience? Are you planning on being a city prosecutor after LS or just getting experience/making connections? Sounds interesting...

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:38:06 AM »
This is so sweet.  I'm an incoming RU-N 1L and I routinely look for threads like these.

I'm interested in your experiences at the prosecutors office.  What do they make you do all day?  Is it paid?  Probably not, huh?

I'm assuming you want to go into criminal law of some sort.  I'm interested in that as well, and even though it's very possible that I'll end up changing my mind at some point, as it stands right now ciminal law looks like the only thing that can hold my interest.  The problem is that every time it comes up someone mentions the paltry salary that prosecutors earn.  Would you be able to comment on this?  I don't want to chase money as a career, but I do have a certain lifestyle for myself in mind and 40K a year just isn't going to cut it.

I'm going to milk this.  Sorry.

What are the teachers like?  I've met a few of them and they seem OK, but chatting them up over a glass of merlot is a far cry from sitting in their classes.  Are there any classes/professors I should watch out for, either for general difficulty or other reasons?

Guess that's it for now.  Thanks a bunch for doing this.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
If laur doesn't mind me hijacking the thread, as another rising 2L, I'd like to add a few things.

Legal Writing is where the workload gets you.  Unless you're a massively disciplined worker, and will spread the assignments out over the month you get them, the two weeks before they are due, and especially the weeks the assignments are due, those might be when you question whether or not you can do all the work.  When briefs were due, I essentially stopped paying attention in two classes, and worked on the brief in class.  That gave me 7-8 hours of work time that wasn't taken out of sleeping.  I picked those two classes because I had the best supplements for them, which tracked what the professors taught very well (since both profs recommended the supplements).  I don't advocate this method, but if you're caught in a bind, and you have a class where you can safely stop paying attention for a few classes, without getting ripped if you get called on (i.e. you know when you get called on and can fake it), then it's a good way to relieve a little pressure and keep your sanity.

I highly recommend Getting to Maybe, with a great book on law school test taking, especially if you find LEEWS too expensive.  The book covers all types of law school exams, and offers really general advice, so if you're professor is a little wacky then you won't feel like it was worthless.  I will warn though, that the book says IRAC is worthless, so if you feel IRAC is good for you (and laur is right, you can get As with IRAC), then it might not be worth reading.

If you want to do some summer prep, and are worried about burning out, I suggest some lighter legal reading, like books about the Supreme Court.  I read People's History of the Supreme Court over spring break, because I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to outline.  It was a really good book, really helped you understand why some of the Supreme Court decisions were made.  Other similar books like The Brethern, A Court Divided, the book written by Justice Rehnquist, etc.  Note that a lot of these books have a political bent, one way or the other, so keep that in mind.  But they're very helpful for Con Law, and understanding how the Supreme Court works.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 05:50:03 PM »
I'm sad...  :'(

ktcarlin

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 09:18:44 AM »
tag...you're it

redlocks180

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 11:56:50 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  This is a great thread.  I'm also interested in hearing about your work in the prosecutor's office.  That's definitely what I'm aiming for, not just for an internship but after law school as well.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:36 PM »
If laur doesn't mind me hijacking the thread, as another rising 2L, I'd like to add a few things.

I absolutely do not mind that you hijacked the thread.  I wish more rising 2Ls had taken the time to explain stuff to me last summer. 

As for the questions regarding my internship with the prosecutor's office, I absolutely love it.  I'm assigned to the Gang Task Force Unit, which means I'll be doing a lot of motions to suppress, dismiss, etc. this summer.  I was also assigned an appellate brief in a shooting conviction from 2004.  I'm getting experience learning about search warrants, wire tapping, and all sorts of other good stuff.  Today my boss and one of the detectives took me on a scenic tour of Trenton...as in they drove me through all the bad neighborhoods and we spotted quite a few gang members, whom I recognized because of their colors, etc.  Its a pretty neat job.  On top of all that, we're highly encouraged to go observe in court as much as possible.  At the moment there's a fairly high profile murder trial going on, and I try to get up there as much as possible to see what's going on.  I've also been to bail hearings, I was present (and sitting at counsel table) when a gang member pled guilty to conspiracy to commit murder for his involvement in the 2004 execution style murder of a Latin Queen.  Twenty minutes before the allocution, I was with him, my boss, and his attorney in the holding cell.  That was on my second day of work.  Honestly, I could not ask for a better job.  And, to put a cherry on top of the great experiences I'm having, they are in fact paying me $455/week.  All in all its a pretty sweet deal and I'm thrilled that I'm not stuck working for some judge, even though I have a sneaking suspicion that working for a judge does work better on your resume. 

I do most likely want to end up doing criminal law.  However, I'm on the fence about whether or not I'd like to be a prosecutor or a defense attorney.

Oops, time for dinner, I can write more about the profs at RU-N later if you'd like.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »
Tag. Prosecution 1L summer sounds awesome!
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
It's definitely the most fun job I've ever had.  I'm making friends with all the sheriff's officers too and they're just hysterical.  They have an opinion about everything.

Anyway, the RUNL profs are really good for the most part.  If you get Tractenberg for Contracts bring some No-Doz or something.  Also, he's completely incoherent.  Perry is awesome if you get her for Torts.  Pope is good for Con Law, although his exam is closed book.  You don't get to choose your profs anyhow so I guess you're just stuck if you get him.  I had Deutsch for Property, he was pretty good.  A little boring, but then again, Property isn't exactly the most stimulating subject.  Civ Pro will probably be the bane of your 1L year, but that's just because its really complicated.  You won't get that til second semester though so don't worry about it now.  If you want to know anything else about profs I can tell you what I know.