Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 623 times)

waitlisted

• Sr. Citizen
  • Drool. Please note I am not AK47 on XO.
    • View Profile
« on: June 04, 2006, 01:09:28 PM »

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Multiculturalism at its best: England afraid to fly its own flag
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »
I do agree that this is a boneheaded response by English corporations.  Note, however, that these warnings came from an extremist group, so your attempt to impugn the entirety of the Muslim religion as barbaric once again falls pretty flat.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 01:18:18 PM »
1. Trusting the Sun on this one is like trusting Pat Robertson when he declares that there is a war on Christmas.
2. It's the cross of St. George, not the Union Jack under discussion.  It's closer to banning southerners flying the Confederate battle flag than it is banning the American flag.
3. Ugh.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »
2. It's the cross of St. George, not the Union Jack under discussion.  It's closer to banning southerners flying the  Confederate battle flag than it is banning the American flag.

Is it too late to send "Stars & Bars" patches to our fine footballers in Germany?  I think this year's Cup could use a bit more hype.

The symbol is on the English kits; I don't think this red cross symbolism carries near the baggage that the dixie flag does.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »
2. It's the cross of St. George, not the Union Jack under discussion.  It's closer to banning southerners flying the  Confederate battle flag than it is banning the American flag.

Is it too late to send "Stars & Bars" patches to our fine footballers in Germany?  I think this year's Cup could use a bit more hype.

The symbol is on the English kits; I don't think this red cross symbolism carries near the baggage that the dixie flag does.

I didn't say it carried the same baggage, I just made an analogy and I think it holds.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:56:27 PM »

I didn't say it carried the same baggage, I just made an analogy and I think it holds.

Cross = oppression to Muslims.

you seemed to be a bit more perceptive than you're coming off right now.

Trollik has questioned your perceptivity.  Time for a serious, thorough self-evaluation.  What went wrong?   

:D :D :D

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:50 PM »

Cross = oppression to Muslims.

you seemed to be a bit more perceptive than you're coming off right now.

Yeah, you don't really get this issue.  That's like arguing that workplace prohibitions of the Confederate flag is because Muslims hate crosses.  The Cross of St. George has long been a sensitive issue here, The Sun is just rabblerousing by linking this to Muslim extremists.  I feel that people who choose to publically display the St. George are making a very definite statement just as people do when they display the Confederate Battle flag.  This really has little to nothing to do with radical Islam, just move along.

Trollik = obsessed with Muslims.