Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cheap Shipping?  (Read 276 times)

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cheap Shipping?
« on: June 03, 2006, 10:04:42 PM »
I need to ship a bunch of stuff, moslty books and clothes, across the country...cheapest way to do this?
Boalt 1L

veg

Re: Cheap Shipping?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:58:48 PM »
amtrak freight?
Some airlines do freight shipping...

Brod

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:40:10 AM »
Chido!

i shipped all my stuff from NYC to cali via UPS ground. It was sort of expensive, but considering i shipped about 16 boxes and they were all between 25-55lbs, I didn't think it was too bad. (I spent a little more than $500, but I was literally shipping my whole 1bd apartment and all my damn clothes). And they came to my door and picked up all my stuff at my apt bldg (but admittedly it was an elevator bldg so it was easy for them), which was nice and convenient. I will say though,that even though you give them a window of like noon-3pm to come by, they actually have till 7pm to get to your place so you end up spending the whole day waiting around.

I would second the idea of shipping books, dvds, cds, etc via media mail through the regular post office. It takes about 2 weeks to get to california but it's really inexpensive. You'd just have to haul it all to the post office. But it cuts down on costs since they're so heavy.

Oh for UPS I just created an online account and scheduled all my pick-ups on the website. The only drawback is that you don't see how much you're going to be spending until after you input your credit card and pay. There's probably a rate chart on the website but i never looked it up.

Hmm.. I think those are all the bits of wisdom I can pass on. But let me know if you have questions!

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »
DO NOT USE UPS.

If you're gonna be cheap, go USPS.  If you wanna make sure it gets to its destination, then use FedEx.  If you want spend extra money for your package to get destroyed, then use UPS.

Brod

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 12:51:51 AM »
DO NOT USE UPS.

If you're gonna be cheap, go USPS. If you wanna make sure it gets to its destination, then use FedEx. If you want spend extra money for your package to get destroyed, then use UPS.

Haha yeah I will say, I was really worried about UPS. But I think I'm just an expert box packer because not a single one of my things was broken and that includes a lot of fragile glass items, electronics, and paintings.

you just have to be extremely overly careful and almost absurd in how you pack things.

but maybe i'm just that good :P

EDIT: Chido, I'll be back in the city in late july before going back to cali. I'll probably be able to take one of your luggages or boxes or something back on the plane to cali with me. You just wouldn't get it till i move up to school. Lemme know!

Brod

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:35:29 AM »
mmmm. it's more of a #465.5 but i'm willing to round up

Brod

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 01:46:04 AM »
hahaha let's round up just to lessen our own confusion. i have a hard enough time just keeping up with how fast we're going through numbers :D

and sorry chido, that we've momentarily hijacked your thread! :P

some weird girl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hobbs I object!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - icyandcoldgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:29:15 AM »
I'd use USPS ground, don't use media mail, even though its mega cheap it will take FOREVER to get to you. I would def get the insurance to when you do it. It might cost a little extra but its worth it.
"The longer we dwell on our misfortunes the greater is their power to harm us." Voltaire