Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NJ Governor Resigns AND Comes Out  (Read 5623 times)

nathanielmark

Re: NJ Governor Resigns AND Comes Out
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2004, 06:13:03 PM »
maybe a book is in order.

you think the wife is gonna come out and say the normal politician's wife speech: "i am standing by my husband and support him in every possible way."

Ginatio

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2004, 06:15:20 PM »
you think the wife is gonna come out and say the normal politician's wife speech: "i am standing by my husband and support him in every possible way."

you think they would stay married?

jgruber

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
The Catholic Church probably is more formal in ranking these things, but I believe Protestants hold the same view.

Again, I'm a newly converted Catholic with a lot to learn so bear with me.

is that a catholic specific belief?  cuz other denominations do not believe that (ie southern baptists, presbyterians, methodists). 

Yes there are degrees of sin.

If I lie to you, that's not as bad as killing you.

Child rape is worse than concentual homosexual acts.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2004, 08:45:38 PM »
I just saw the press conference. That really was out of the blue...  all of a sudden he announces that he's gay, had an affair with another man, and  resigned. I feel bad for him, and his family. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for them.

It's about as hard as the male private part he took up the ass  ;)

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2004, 08:24:15 AM »
I could not stand watching the news shows last night and all of the gay activists were saying how this was a show of strength, soul-searching, etc..... The REASON why he admitted all of this yesterday was DAMAGE CONTROL. He appointed his Israeli lover to a government post, the head of Homeland Security for NJ, which pays $110,000 a year. He then tried to circumvent the background check process. You don't appoint someone to be the head of security for the state and then not have a background check. This is unbelieveable. How the hell can this happen?

The only reason McGreevey had the press conference yesterday is because all of this was going to come out, the sexual harassment suit was filed in NJ court yesterday. There have been all sorts of corruption charges against this guy since he took office.

By the way, McGreevey was married twice in his life and has had a daughter with each marriage. The first wife moved to British Columbia to get as far away from the fraud as possible. He gave her full custody of the child and all sorts of money not to say a word and ruin his political career. Then, knowing that he is gay, he marries another woman, parades her out during this press conference.

Next, McGreevey screws the citizens of New Jersey by not allowing them to select their new Governor. He waits until Nov. 15 so that there does not have to be a special election. I don't care what your politics are, this is also wrong. Let the citizens choose their new Governor. The New Jersey Democratic machine is despicable, no matter how you slice it.

Finally, did you see his parents at the conference. His mom had a look on her face that said "I can't believe my son is such a scumbag" and his father had a look that said "I want to beat my son's ass."

In conclusion, McGreevey is a liar and a fraud, not a hero. If I hear one more person praise him I'm going to flip out.

jgruber

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2004, 09:49:21 AM »
Maybe he is playing the gay card to distract attention from his other problems. 

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2004, 09:58:29 AM »
It really wasn't a secret that McGreevey was gay. In 2002, he injured his leg while vacationing at the beach with his male lover (no idea what they were doing!). He then proceeded to quickly fly his wife in, using taxpayer dollars, to make it look like it was a family vacation. He also helped his male lover buy a home near the Governor's mansion and his wife lived in a separate house. He also got his political staff to get his male lover a visa, circumventing the whole process. How can this be done pretty soon after September 11?

This whole thing makes me sick. There needs to be much more outrage.

nathanielmark

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2004, 10:07:05 AM »
its unfortunate because he had great policies.. why is it people like him and clinton who actually try to govern for the people get involved in corruption and this type of *&^%...  its very sad.

It really wasn't a secret that McGreevey was gay. In 2002, he injured his leg while vacationing at the beach with his male lover (no idea what they were doing!). He then proceeded to quickly fly his wife in, using taxpayer dollars, to make it look like it was a family vacation. He also helped his male lover buy a home near the Governor's mansion and his wife lived in a separate house. He also got his political staff to get his male lover a visa, circumventing the whole process. How can this be done pretty soon after September 11?

This whole thing makes me sick. There needs to be much more outrage.

buster

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2004, 10:08:17 AM »
Just to see you flip out, lawyerboy...

I know his motivations were impure, and I know there's more to the story (more, I think, than you even mentioned), but I still say it took guts for him to say what he said in that press conference.

I could not stand watching the news shows last night and all of the gay activists were saying how this was a show of strength, soul-searching, etc..... The REASON why he admitted all of this yesterday was DAMAGE CONTROL. He appointed his Israeli lover to a government post, the head of Homeland Security for NJ, which pays $110,000 a year. He then tried to circumvent the background check process. You don't appoint someone to be the head of security for the state and then not have a background check. This is unbelieveable. How the hell can this happen?

The only reason McGreevey had the press conference yesterday is because all of this was going to come out, the sexual harassment suit was filed in NJ court yesterday. There have been all sorts of corruption charges against this guy since he took office.

By the way, McGreevey was married twice in his life and has had a daughter with each marriage. The first wife moved to British Columbia to get as far away from the fraud as possible. He gave her full custody of the child and all sorts of money not to say a word and ruin his political career. Then, knowing that he is gay, he marries another woman, parades her out during this press conference.

Next, McGreevey screws the citizens of New Jersey by not allowing them to select their new Governor. He waits until Nov. 15 so that there does not have to be a special election. I don't care what your politics are, this is also wrong. Let the citizens choose their new Governor. The New Jersey Democratic machine is despicable, no matter how you slice it.

Finally, did you see his parents at the conference. His mom had a look on her face that said "I can't believe my son is such a scumbag" and his father had a look that said "I want to beat my son's ass."

In conclusion, McGreevey is a liar and a fraud, not a hero. If I hear one more person praise him I'm going to flip out.

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2004, 10:24:48 AM »
It was his LAST option to do what he did at the press conference. That's not guts, that's doing something with a gun held to your held. If no press conference yesterday, all of this would have come out today. He is a fraud, a scumbag, and a loser. The citizens of New Jersey are paying the price for voting for this jackass.

By the way, did you know that New Jersey is one of only two states (West Virginia) that has a Democratic Governor, Two Democratic U.S. Senators, A majority Democratic Delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives, and Democratic majorities in both the State House and Senate. In this one-party type of system, corruption breeds since there are no checks and balances.