Law School Discussion

NJ Governor Resigns AND Comes Out

lucky7

• View Profile
Re: NJ Governor Resigns AND Comes Out
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 03:06:55 PM »
o wow.Aaccording to nbc, just now, McGreevy is about to be sued for sexual harassment by an Isrealli man who was going to be a homeland security advisor, but didn't get the job for some reason.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »
it's not in the same category as child molestation.  That's rape.

I find it ironic because of the Church's position on homosexuality

back in my days of being crass and callous, i would have said some nice smart ass retort to that.  but since im a nice guy now, im sorry :)

but i dont find it ironic that he's catholic.  otherwise, i would find irony in these catholic priests molesting children as well.

Watch the remarks about Jersey.  I grew up there and look at me.

It is ironic that he's Catholic.  Well, it is to me.

Aren't politics exciting?

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:53 PM »
funniest political resignation.............. ever

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 03:10:16 PM »

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 03:12:30 PM »
isnt the church's position on child molestion and/or rape similar to its position on homosexuality - DONT DO IT?

lexylit

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 03:16:08 PM »
isnt the church's position on child molestion and/or rape similar to its position on homosexuality - DONT DO IT?

i believe you're thinking of the song "teenage suicide, DON'T DO IT" from the movie heathers

(it's your turn, heather. no heather, it's heather's turn!)

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »
Why are you taking a simplismtic view?  Are you saying that what two adults men do in private equate to the rape of children?

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
no, im saying that i would think the catholic faith would condemn both acts and have similar stances on either, whether its two adults, a child and an adult, or three adults and three children. 

what exactly is the catholic church's stance on homosexuality then?

Why are you taking a simplismtic view?  Are you saying that what two adults men do in private equate to the rape of children?

lucky7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 03:19:28 PM »

not quite.... according to the Church, all premarrital and extramarrital sex is a sin. Since a gay couple can't have kids, the can't get married. Anyone who isn't married is "called to live a chaste life", which means no sex. It gets more complicated from there, but basically, the Church says that being gay is not a sin, but having gay sex is. So they expect gay people to be virgin for their entire lives. At least, this is what was in my high school morality textbook.

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 03:24:51 PM »
now, thats an interesting point...ive never heard it explained that way.  thanks luck.

is that why some parishes allow gay priests?  or do i have that mixed up with some other belief/religion?

not quite.... according to the Church, all premarrital and extramarrital sex is a sin. Since a gay couple can't have kids, the can't get married. Anyone who isn't married is "called to live a chaste life", which means no sex. It gets more complicated from there, but basically, the Church says that being gay is not a sin, but having gay sex is. So they expect gay people to be virgin for their entire lives. At least, this is what was in my high school morality textbook.