Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 421 times)

waitlisted

• Sr. Citizen
  • Drool. Please note I am not AK47 on XO.
    • View Profile
« on: June 03, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Ivory Towers at forefront of institutional British Anti-Semitism
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
I agree it's stupid and an invasion of academic freedom.  I also see it as utterly antithetical to the mission and cosmopolitan character that universities have traditionally maintained.  I'm not sure, without knowing more details that it is anti-Semitic per se, because I think you can be critical of the policies pursued by the Israeli government, and express your disapproval of the actions that Israel takes towards the Palestinians without expressing hatred of the Jewish people.  The two don't necessarily have to go hand in hand.

For a great response to the boycott from US academics, see here:  http://www.nyu.edu/classes/siva/archives/003175.html
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Fidelio

Re: Ivory Towers at forefront of institutional British Anti-Semitism
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:00:26 PM »
I agree it's stupid and an invasion of academic freedom.  I also see it as utterly antithetical to the mission and cosmopolitan character that universities have traditionally maintained.  I'm not sure, without knowing more details that it is anti-Semitic per se, because I think you can be critical of the policies pursued by the Israeli government, and express your disapproval of the actions that Israel takes towards the Palestinians without expressing hatred of the Jewish people.  The two don't necessarily have to go hand in hand.

I agree with you on this point.  I have noticed some are quick to fire off allegations of anti-semitism whenever one puts Israel under the microscope.