Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing in Orlando  (Read 3011 times)

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
Housing in Orlando
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:32 PM »
I have been accepted to FAMU in Orlando and I am havig a hard time finding an apartment. Is there anyone on here that can recommend something that is not far from the school (which) is located on Beggs Ave. in downtown Orlando? I also will have with me two small children ages 5 yrs. and 3 months of age. So I need something that is safe and cost about 700.00 a month. Any help will be greatly apprciated, and please PM me if you know of a place where credit is not a factor, or not a real big deal. I co-signed for a friend in 2002 and she got evicted. 
ChristyLove

Ktron

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Housing in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:16:36 PM »
I rented a 2/1 house for $750/month about a mile away from the law school but the apartment complexes in the area are pretty pricey.  You're better off trying to rent from craigslist or a broker.  I rented my first house from oldetownbrokers.com (olde with an "e").  There's alot of condos going up in the area as well.  hope that was some help.

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:54:22 PM »
Thank you very much I will give it a try.

I rented a 2/1 house for $750/month about a mile away from the law school but the apartment complexes in the area are pretty pricey.  You're better off trying to rent from craigslist or a broker.  I rented my first house from oldetownbrokers.com (olde with an "e").  There's alot of condos going up in the area as well.  hope that was some help.
ChristyLove

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »
Downtown can be pricier. With kids, I'd recommend an area like Winter Springs or Ocoee.
Vanderbilt 2010

nuqueen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »
I have been accepted to FAMU in Orlando and I am havig a hard time finding an apartment. Is there anyone on here that can recommend something that is not far from the school (which) is located on Beggs Ave. in downtown Orlando? I also will have with me two small children ages 5 yrs. and 3 months of age. So I need something that is safe and cost about 700.00 a month. Any help will be greatly apprciated, and please PM me if you know of a place where credit is not a factor, or not a real big deal. I co-signed for a friend in 2002 and she got evicted. 

Bump.

I am in a similar situation. Any additional information available?

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
There are some good places in Metro west that aren't ridiculous.  You just need to search for them.

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:03:25 PM »
FAMU is right off I4, the main freeway in the city.  During off-peak times can get you pretty far in about 20 minutes.  Traffic in Orlando isn't horrendous if you know what streets to take, so take some time to look around the different parts of town.

I think your best bet is the Altamonte area to the north.  It's affordable and a nice/relatively safe suburban area,

The Metrowest/Millenia Mall region (southwest on I-4 from the school) is affordable as well, but there has been a spike in crime around that area lately. 

The East Orlando/Waterford Lakes/UCF area is about 25-30 minutes away from downtown, but offers affordable housing close to a lot of amenities.  It's pretty safe too.  You might have to take toll roads to get downtown though.

The school itself is in a real real shady part of town(Parramore, I believe, which is probably one of the worst parts of Orlando).  I would avoid finding a place too close if you have kids.

Hope that helps!  Good luck.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
I second the below remarks. The only thing that I would caution is to actually go look at the apartment/house that you're going to live in before you rent it. The Orlando area is pretty nice, but there's a lot of crime, and you'll have a really nice neighborhood that becomes crackalishish very quickly. So make sure you just don't get something on-line before you actually check it out too.

Good luck. 

FAMU is right off I4, the main freeway in the city.  During off-peak times can get you pretty far in about 20 minutes.  Traffic in Orlando isn't horrendous if you know what streets to take, so take some time to look around the different parts of town.

I think your best bet is the Altamonte area to the north.  It's affordable and a nice/relatively safe suburban area,

The Metrowest/Millenia Mall region (southwest on I-4 from the school) is affordable as well, but there has been a spike in crime around that area lately. 

The East Orlando/Waterford Lakes/UCF area is about 25-30 minutes away from downtown, but offers affordable housing close to a lot of amenities.  It's pretty safe too.  You might have to take toll roads to get downtown though.

The school itself is in a real real shady part of town(Parramore, I believe, which is probably one of the worst parts of Orlando).  I would avoid finding a place too close if you have kids.

Hope that helps!  Good luck.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
I've lived in Orlando for about 10 years in many of the various "suburbs." $700 a month might be a little though, especially with kids where you would need a bigger place. You also need to think about what schools are in that area. While downtown might be the most convienent, it will probablly be the least affordable as it is one of the pricier areas. I would also recommend looking "east-west" vs. looking "north-south" because I-4 traffic is straight up miserable. There is also lots of road work planned for I-4 in the next few years, so the situation might not get any better. Going east-west, you could take 408 to downtown with less traffic, although 408 is a toll road.

For the best schools, Seminole county might be your best bet. Someone mentioned Altamonte Springs which isn't terrible except that you will need to go down I-4 to get downtown. I'm also not sure if you would be able to find something in your price range.

Metro West could be in your price range, and the schools aren't that bad, but I have a friend that lives there and the neighborhood has had a lot of increase in crime (actually Orlando in general has had an increase in crime) over the past few years.

Directly west of downtown has the worse schools in the area and the most crime. You would need to be out in Ocoee before it gets better and that is pretty far west of downtown. You would need to take 408 to get to school.

East of downtown is nicer but pricier. You MIGHT be able to find something in Colonial town in your price range. Maybe. If you luck out, you can get in an area that goes to Winter Parks schools which are some of the best in the area.

Furhter East toward UCF you could find stuff in your price range and the schools aren't that bad. I live in the far south east corner of town and it takes me about 20 mins to get to FAMU Law area at night, and anywhere from 30-45 mins during the day depending on traffic. You could cut this down by living a little further in. The schools on the East side of Orange county aren't as good as Seminole County or Winter Park, but they are decent.

If you want you can PM me and I can give you more details.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »
Seminole county is where I am from.  They definitely have the best schools, but housing is very expensive.

Try Winter Springs.  It will be cheaper than Altamonte or Lake Mary.  I'd avoid most of Sanford, though.  It's Seminole County, but the schools aren't great.

I have a friend from Osceola County, and the schools in the Kissimmee area aren't bad.  Housing is also fairly expensive.

Basically, if you don't want to live downtown... you are looking at a commute.