Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Estimated Family Contributions?  (Read 1086 times)

lsatflunkie

Anyone know anything about Estimated Family Contributions?
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »
I'm married with one child- my husband and I both work.  When I completed my FAFSA online, it gave me an Estimated Family Contribution dollar amount.  Anyone know if that dollar amount is per year or is it total for the entire degree?

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about Estimated Family Contributions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
It is per year. 
2L

lsatflunkie

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »
It is per year. 

That's what i thought :( :( :( :( :(

I guess we're not considered "in need"

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »
I feel your pain...my EFC was pretty crazy.  I honestly dont think it makes that much of a difference - I know a few people w/0 EFCs and they got no grants.  Im not sure exactly how "poor" you have to be to get grants.
2L

lsatflunkie

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:07:14 PM »
I feel your pain...my EFC was pretty crazy.  I honestly dont think it makes that much of a difference - I know a few people w/0 EFCs and they got no grants.  Im not sure exactly how "poor" you have to be to get grants.

well, considering the efc was significantly higher than the annual tuition- I'll bet I"ll get 0.
Oh well. :D

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 12:17:04 AM »
It is per year. 

mine was as well so i didn't get any grants but i still got the maximum 18.5 in gov't loans which helps

That's what i thought :( :( :( :( :(

I guess we're not considered "in need"

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 09:48:08 AM »
Joining the "can't get financial aid" club. The gov't system is very biased against anyone who has held down a full-time job prior to starting law school  :'(  However, you may want to contact the school fin aid office and explain the situation. Some schools will readjust your EFC to reflect that you will no longer be working once school starts. They pretty much want you to live in abject poverty for three years it seems, which is a bit ironic since there are so many campaigns to end poverty. ("let's end poverty, except for those of you who are students with families- we don't care if your kids grow up poor")

lsatflunkie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
Joining the "can't get financial aid" club. The gov't system is very biased against anyone who has held down a full-time job prior to starting law school  :'(  However, you may want to contact the school fin aid office and explain the situation. Some schools will readjust your EFC to reflect that you will no longer be working once school starts. They pretty much want you to live in abject poverty for three years it seems, which is a bit ironic since there are so many campaigns to end poverty. ("let's end poverty, except for those of you who are students with families- we don't care if your kids grow up poor")

I will be working, though- but only part-time.  I suppose I should let them know that my salary will be divided in half.  But, a good portion of our income is my husband's, so I"m not too sure if it will make that much of a difference. I'm definitely going to try though ;)

and psst..welcome to the club ;)

Mr. Burnz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:15:51 PM »
No matter your EFC, you can still get the $18,500 in federal aid even if you made a million dollars a year!  However, it will probably all be at the unsubsidized 6.8% rate (instead of $8,500 of it being subsidized by the govt).  In addition, you can still also get private loans assuming you have good credit...

So don't sweat it, you guys will get something to carry you thru law school!