Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's going to Syracuse?  (Read 538 times)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who's going to Syracuse?
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:07 PM »
Hi! I'm just wondering who else is going to Syracuse, and when people are moving up there.

mizzmj

• View Profile
Re: Who's going to Syracuse?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »
I am. I sorta neglected the inquiry I made in the students and graduates forum; sorry, lol. Since orientation starts on the 21st of August, I would like to be in my apartment (slocum heights on-campus complex) a few days before that. How about you?

Also, have you purchased your new laptop yet? Are you buying it independently or through the University Store online?

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »
I haven't made much progress on the laptop front. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a super small laptop (my sister has a tiny Dell) or a more "regular" size one. The super small one would be great if I actually bring it to school on a regular basis, but I'm concerned about squinting at the tiny screen. I need to start shopping around, though. I get a discount on Dell through work, and my dad gets a discount through his work, so I don't know if that will be cheaper than the university store. I'll admit that I didn't know there was a university store option. Is that what you're going to do?

In terms of moving to Syracuse, I am leaving my job on June 30th and moving on July 1st (I'll be living at the Nob Hill apartment complex). For a variety of reasons, it makes a lot of sense for me to move there sooner than later, so July 1st it is. And then I get to enjoy some serious vacation time!!

How about you, are you working full-time now, or did you recently graduate? Where are you moving from? I'll be moving from Springfield, MA, so it's not a HUGE move for me. Although I have way too much stuff, so moving will be a pain. :)

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
My graduation was this past friday. I'll be coming to syracuse from NYC, so that is going to be quite a change for me... or so I hear. In NYC, we get our fair share of snow, but I hear that Syracuse starts getting snow in September or October.  :o

This is the link that will take you to the school's store. http://bookstore.syr.edu/computers/index.html  I am curious about the software that the dell notebook that they're offering comes with. I did a quick google search and it does appear to be SLIGHTLY cheaper at the bookstore than elsewhere, but that was just a surface search.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 09:56:14 AM »
Posted on: Today at 01:17:54 AMPosted by: mizzmj 
My graduation was this past friday.

Congrats on your graduation. :) And thanks for the link to the university store, I'll definitely check that out when I start the laptop search. 

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 04:23:36 PM »
mizzmj-- when did you get confirmation that you had an apartment in slocum heights? I applied a little late and was told my only chance would be for a 2 bedroom; I'm still waiting but need to find out soon so I can find something else!
  I just purchased my laptop last week, its a dell, 14.1 inch screen, i think its a good size and 4.3 pounds.  It's a latitude d610; I'm happy with it. 

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 01:46:07 AM »
mizzmj-- when did you get confirmation that you had an apartment in slocum heights? I applied a little late and was told my only chance would be for a 2 bedroom; I'm still waiting but need to find out soon so I can find something else!
  I just purchased my laptop last week, its a dell, 14.1 inch screen, i think its a good size and 4.3 pounds.  It's a latitude d610; I'm happy with it. 

I received an e-mail and phone call about a week and a half ago. They said that all of the apartments had been assigned; so if I were you, I would call them to make sure that you got the 2 bedroom. Good luck.

Oh, and one more thing...

Where did you purchase your laptop? Was it cheaper than what syracuse is selling theirs? What software did it come with?

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »
Thanks for letting me know mizzmj, I emailed them today and they told me I was placed in a 2 bedroom and would be receiving the information in the mail next week.
   I bought a dell laptop through the dell website; I wasn't aware of the syracuse deal.  I got a dell latitude D610, with microsoft small business, 80 gb harddrive, 7200 rpm, the true life screen display.  I'm very happy with it so far, it cost me a total of 2100, tax included, with free shipping.  Dell changes its deals every Wednesday or Thursday, when i purchased my laptop there was a deal where they took 400 dollars off of latitudes.  My brother works with computers and told me to stay away from the inspiron version, he said the latitude is a step higher and better for what I would be using it for.  The day after i ordered my laptop, they were no longer offering it; they're only selling ones that are already customized and in their dell outlet, not sure what to think of that really.  But I am very happy with my purchase!  If you have anymore questions let me know...i researched these laptops for about 3 weeks every day before I made a decision. Goodluck!

Laura