Law School Discussion

Spell Check on Exam Software

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Spell Check on Exam Software
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »
Is there a spell check function on exam software?  ???

Iím guessing no.  >:(

It occurred to me that Iíve become sadly dependant.  :'( :-[

That is all.  :)

flydog

Re: Spell Check on Exam Software
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:21:20 AM »
I am 99% sure there is not

ACK!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »
I am 99% sure there is not

Hmm, wonderful. I can't spell worth sh*t. My idiocy will be laid bare.

(In more ways than one  :P )

ACK!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
I think spell check has created a dependency. Like crack, or LSD.  :'(

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
Examsoft has it, but most professors have it turned off.  Go figure.

ACK!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:00:37 PM »
Examsoft has it, but most professors have it turned off.  Go figure.

Sons of B*tches! Argh!  >:( ;)

I suppose mispelling stuff would put you at the bottom of the curve?

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »
That's really kinda dumb, imo. What difference does it make if you use spellcheck or not? Granted, if you can't spell, that means you are too stupid for living... (lol).

But honestly. As attorneys, making the big money, will we or will we not, be able to use spellcheck? I suppose we will be able to, as will our secretaries...

I propose we should have a sit-in secretary double check our exams before we turn it in.

That is all.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
Correct, the spell check is usually turned off.  You know what?  Most profs don't really care much about your spelling.  They expect to see mistakes and typos, given that the exams are given under time pressure.  These aren't going to be outcome determinative; the strength of your arguments and your ability to spot and explore all the issues will be.  So long as the mistakes don't make your response completely unintelligible (and it's hard to imagine how anyone who's that bad of a speller could have successfully graduated from an accredited college or university, let alone have been admitted to law school), they won't matter much at all.  So quit worrying.

That is all.  ;)

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
That's really kinda dumb, imo. What difference does it make if you use spellcheck or not? Granted, if you can't spell, that means you are too stupid for living... (lol).

But honestly. As attorneys, making the big money, will we or will we not, be able to use spellcheck? I suppose we will be able to, as will our secretaries...

I propose we should have a sit-in secretary double check our exams before we turn it in.

That is all.

The rationale I've heard is that professors would rather us put the extra three minutes into writing/thinking than into spell checking.

Relax, they aren't always out to get you.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 11:08:37 PM »

That is all.

The rationale I've heard is that professors would rather us put the extra three minutes into writing/thinking than into spell checking.

Relax, they aren't always out to get you.

Just for the hell of it...I put res ipsa locquitor, granted that might be spelled wrong, but it should be close enough that if it was in Word Spellchecker, it should come up as a choice-well it didn't. 
Personally, I think it may be very distracting, and some people may wish it was off if they were perfectionists, sometimes bad grammar may be necessary, especially in a test situation where you don't have a lot of time to create great grammatically correct sentences.