Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advanced techniques in LGB  (Read 345 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Advanced techniques in LGB
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:14:25 PM »
How many people use the advanced techniques from the LGB when doing timed games sections?  I am a big fan of the basic LGB techniques, but I find it hard to incorporate the advanced elements like identify the template/possibilities, numerical distributions, etc.

Are these techniques really necessary to be prepared to do the games section?
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

dusya4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Advanced techniques in LGB
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »
I never used the LGB, cause by the time I found out about it I was already pretty good at games, but I found from my own experience that doing the templates can be useful especially if there are only two possibilities and sometimes even if there are three. There are even games when four possibilities warrant a template for each. I don't find them necessary but doing them can speed up the process.
All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XYHA4

bosco17

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:38:32 PM »
i think numerical distribution is very useful. there will be times where you'll come across a game that's a bit confusing cause it'll involve like 8 or 9 things, but if you figure out what the numerical distribution is, it makes it 100 times easier. just recently, there was some grouping game involving 9 things, and at first i was really pissed obviously haha, but once i figured out the distribution, i finished it in 5 minutes

as for the identifying the templates/possibilities... i don't mind doing the template if it's a bit confusing, but the possibilities is a little time consuming. sometimes, i'll do the possibilities if i'm struggling, but i don't do it as properly as the book describe... just a few notes and whatnot on what could happen so i know what definitetly can not happen.

rena123

• Sr. Citizen
  • i <3 cindy sherman
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »
the numerical distribution i do if it looks like it's going to be an important factor in the game.  figuring out when to use the identifying the possibilities/templates is pretty hard for me so i don't usually do it.  every now and then a setup will just leap out at me as having only a few templates, but i don't look at each problem and think, "okay, does this meet the criteria for using identifying the possibilities/templates?"  especially with the more recent games, which are much less straight-forward and don't really require advanced strategies.

squirt10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 08:31:38 PM »
but i don't look at each problem and think, "okay, does this meet the criteria for using identifying the possibilities/templates?"  especially with the more recent games, which are much less straight-forward and don't really require advanced strategies.

Did you mean much more straightforward?  If you didn't, can you explain what you mean?

rena123

• Sr. Citizen
  • i <3 cindy sherman
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 02:40:32 AM »
oops, yeah, i meant much more straight-forward.