Law School Discussion

Guidance on Concurrent Degree Essay

Nellelocs

Guidance on Concurrent Degree Essay
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:55:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My status is usually that of lurker on the LSD board, but I decided to post because I could really use some guidance on my personal statement.  I have already been accepted to a pretty good law school which I am really excited about attending and I am interested in pursuing a joint JD/MSW degree.  Unfortunately, I am completely burned out after the last Law School Application cycle and I am lost as to where to begin on my essay for the MSW application (I have to apply to each school separately). 

I am afraid of  paraphrasing my law school essay, however its frustrating because what I want to do with my law degree intersects well with my interest in social work.  I have started on the essay, but I am afraid that it may sound somewhat bitter or that I am way too obsessed with the intersections of race, gender, and class and how those factors shape individual lives.

To make a long story short, if there are any natural/great writers out there who can help me brainstorm or comment on the structure and flow of what I have so far, I would greatly appreciate it!

I also have my personal statement(s) handy for anyone who wants to compare the two.

P.S. Is it okay to combine previous essays that you've done?  For example, I sent in four different essays with my law school applications and many would serve well for my MSW application.  Would it be okay to splice bits and pieces together?