Law School Discussion

[need advice] Best Prep Course for third-time trier

[need advice] Best Prep Course for third-time trier
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »
Hi all,

I started preparing LSAT last year, planned to take it last December but pushed it back thrice to this September because of poor preparation. :-\ I bought all the powerscore books, finished all the REAL exams from 92-05 TWICE without showing much improvement to my score at all (still in the low 160s). Therefore I am counting on taking one of the prep course to save my life.

Given that I did all the questions twice, would it be useful for me to take a Powerscore or Testmaster course, since they pretty much recycled the questions? Or would Kaplan/princetonreview be better, since they write their own exercises? ???
Please advice... thanks!!

Harold

btw my LG is almost perfect, RC half decent (5-8X), but LR is killing me. The worst part is I think I get 175 after every practice exam

LizPendens™

• The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: [need advice] Best Prep Course for third-time trier
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:24:49 AM »
I bought all the powerscore books, finished all the REAL exams from 92-05 TWICE without showing much improvement to my score at all (still in the low 160s). Therefore I am counting on taking one of the prep course to save my life.

Given that I did all the questions twice, would it be useful for me to take a Powerscore or Testmaster course, since they pretty much recycled the questions? Or would Kaplan/princetonreview be better, since they write their own exercises? ???

Uh, for the record, the general consensus is to avoid Kaplan and Princeton Review.

In any case, I don't think your biggest concern right now concerns "fake" questions. You need to figure out why you are not improving in LR despite taking all of the tests twice and, (I assume?) reviewing them thoroughly. Make sure to ask for details about diagnostic services when gathering information on courses and tutors.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »
a class will cost you $1200.  maybe you can get a tutor for less. 

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:18:17 PM »
I think a class may not be a bad idea since your problem seems to be strategy. You could also try to find a study buddy, someone who can help you understand why you are making mistakes.

How do you use the preptests? the quality of your review will make a huge difference.

I agree don't take Kaplan or Princeton Review. I only have experience with their books but not using real questions will not really help you improve when it comes to the real test.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »
Have you gone through the Powerscore books (especially the Reasoning bible) again? And are you checking all your answers back with the reasoning and real answers to try and understand why you got it wrong? The checking back is often key.

For me, I went through the Games Bible twice. I was already strong on games, but it took me some time to totally get it with the Powerscore method. LR is the hardest for me, mostly because of the phrasing. You have to get yourself thinking like and catching the little verbal keys.

I'd look for a tutor, too, I think, since you mostly seem to need help on the one section.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I went through the Powerscore Reasoning Bible, but it seemed to me that most of the guidelines were too vague to be applicable... And when I look up the explanations for questions i got wrong, a lot of times I don't get it. Kaplan answer guide blatantly throw out things out of scope where I find them justifiable

Where can I find a quality LSAT tutor? I am living in NYC and I have to work during the day time, so a tutor would really work well.

LizPendens™

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 12:47:52 AM »
Where can I find a quality LSAT tutor? I am living in NYC and I have to work during the day time, so a tutor would really work well.

Contact the test prep company of your choice.

Best of luck.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 01:19:25 AM »
I think a class may not be a bad idea since your problem seems to be strategy. You could also try to find a study buddy, someone who can help you understand why you are making mistakes.

How do you use the preptests? the quality of your review will make a huge difference.

I agree don't take Kaplan or Princeton Review. I only have experience with their books but not using real questions will not really help you improve when it comes to the real test.

Princeton Review uses fake questions in the retail books but their course materials use only real questions.

LizPendens™

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:33 PM »
A point about private tutors, especially ones not working for test prep companies.

Just as instructor quality varies, not everyone who scores well on the LSAT also has teaching skills. I've seen people (online) who have scored in the high 170's not be able to explain very simple concepts, and/or are contemptuous of those who can't "get it" as quickly as they did.

A good tutor or instructor should be able to diagnose your weaknesses, understand your learning style, help you formulate a plan, and be able to work with you to understand difficult material, and have the patience to keep at it until you do, while not giving you any 'tude.

Personal rapport is also a key factor to assess, as you'll probably be spending some quality time with this person. It could hard to learn if you just two don't get along very well.

So, I recommend that anyone hiring a private tutor, and most especially one who is not responsible to a prep company's review process and quality control, request or demand a one time trial session before committing to a serious number of hours for a serious chunk of change, and signing on the line that is dotted.