Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: International Law?  (Read 503 times)

Regal_Muse

International Law?
« on: August 12, 2004, 02:36:23 PM »
Is anyone interested in going into international law? One of my majors at USC is International Relations with an emphasis in Economics. The discipline has always fascinated me. I noticed that there are a lot of firms starting to focus primarily on issues involve international relations such as trade, international law, and  mergers and acquisitions (since tons of business are moving overseas and buying out other foreign business). I'm thinking to myself what would be required of me if I wanted to practice law that had to do with IR? Right now I speak Spanish and French fluently, and I'm in the process of trying to Learn Mandarin Chinese (Damn that's a hard language). What do you guys think? As anyone thought about going into this field?

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: International Law?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »
I haven't thought about going into intl law, because I'm only fluent in English (at least I hope so).  I've heard it is a booming field and believe it's an excellent specialty to get into.  I hope you love to travel cuz that's another requirement.

jrhc1210

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.85/Oct
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jrhc1210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:28:19 PM »
Is anyone interested in going into international law? One of my majors at USC is International Relations with an emphasis in Economics. The discipline has always fascinated me. I noticed that there are a lot of firms starting to focus primarily on issues involve international relations such as trade, international law, and  mergers and acquisitions (since tons of business are moving overseas and buying out other foreign business). I'm thinking to myself what would be required of me if I wanted to practice law that had to do with IR? Right now I speak Spanish and French fluently, and I'm in the process of trying to Learn Mandarin Chinese (Damn that's a hard language). What do you guys think? As anyone thought about going into this field?

I have also thought of Int'l law, but from what I've learned about it, there are some things you need to keep in mind. If you want to work for BIGLAW, int'l law is pretty much the same as domestic -- you're doing M&A, litigation, transactional stuff for foreign clients in the us, or us clients in foreign countries. Here's where your language ability would help you out. There's also public international law. This kind of law focuses more on treaty work etc -- you're looking here at employment by NGOs, the UN, various government organizations, etc.

Hope that helps a bit. If anyone else knows more maybe they can contribue? :)

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:03:50 PM »
i heard seton hall has a joint  jd/ma in international relations. theres prob other schools that have similar programs. just something to think about