Law School Discussion

a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)

mobo

• View Profile
Re: a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »
Plus it is nice to have a human in the house to keep the lawn mowed and the place from getting that unused dusty, cobwebby look.

Good luck to you too, greengrl.  If you are anything like me, it will come down to throwing stuff in random bags and boxes for the two days before the move and anything not packed is thrown out. ;)  Unpacking is like Christmas: you never know what is in the box.  :) 

Please, someone, tell me you have a stack of papers that need filing before you start school and you don't even have files or folders for them yet?  It will make me feel better.  I have my birth certificate in my underwear drawer on the logic that I am definately packing my panties and won't forget it.  :o

oh *&^%. we need our birth certificates? will a passport do? i have no idea where my original birth cert is...i think i only have a copy of the translation.

i just did all my filing, but your panties document filing system might work better than my "wait...which of five bankers boxes is the ls health form copy in??" system.

:D

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
Plus it is nice to have a human in the house to keep the lawn mowed and the place from getting that unused dusty, cobwebby look.

Good luck to you too, greengrl.  If you are anything like me, it will come down to throwing stuff in random bags and boxes for the two days before the move and anything not packed is thrown out. ;)  Unpacking is like Christmas: you never know what is in the box.  :) 

Please, someone, tell me you have a stack of papers that need filing before you start school and you don't even have files or folders for them yet?  It will make me feel better.  I have my birth certificate in my underwear drawer on the logic that I am definately packing my panties and won't forget it.  :o

Oh the panty drawer is brilliant--I might have to use that one. I finally decided today that I have to get a handful of those paper folders and label them "movers", "bills", "financial aid", "birth certs and medical stuff" etc... because otherwise I will effectively erase my identity with this move

and yes, aerynn my moving style has been reduced to "will this fit in that box?-fantastic, shove it in". BLAH

and i dont' think we need our birth certificates--just transcripts, and medical records. Iowa has us fill out a two page form that asks us for an abbreviated medical history and signed proof of our two MMR's.

don't they realize how HARD finding this stuff is once we can't just call mom and have her send it to us?? :)

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2006, 05:50:23 PM »

I'll make you feel better ... I moved 6 weeks ago and still have boxes of "important" papers to sort.  I did keep a few things out in a letter-sized accordian sorter, which was helpful for the info I needed immediately (mortgage, house sale/purchase) but I am still looking for all the financial aid forms I filled out for my daughter.

P.S.  congrats on your engagement

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2006, 05:57:10 PM »
Oh, you are all ladies after my own heart!  While so many of our colleagues are spending this time studying up and trying to cram in a law preview, I've been dreaming up the perfect organizational system.  My new bible of late is David Allen's "Getting Things Done."  I've been absolutely compulsive about setting up files and the whole rigamarole.

Can we say Giant Flaming Nerd?  

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »
Oh, you are all ladies after my own heart!  While so many of our colleagues are spending this time studying up and trying to cram in a law preview, I've been dreaming up the perfect organizational system.  My new bible of late is David Allen's "Getting Things Done."  I've been absolutely compulsive about setting up files and the whole rigamarole.

Can we say Giant Flaming Nerd?  

girl, i am so bummed you aren't going to my school.

EDIT: because your posts always make me laugh...

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
I was thinking it would be good to keep my birth certificate handy in case we need two forms of ID to get a drivers license in a new state.  I also don't have a passport yet and I read that it is a good thing to get before starting a summer job after 1L or 2L.  (On the off chance your employer would like you to travel.  Why turn down a free trip to the London office for something silly like not having a passport?)

Medical records, prescriptions, papers for the animals, all of it is in various folders and envelopes.  I have one big one that I have all of my law school related papers in . . .it is starting to bust at the seems.  My boss at my current job actually thinks I am a model of organization.  What a relief that I can at least put up a brave front.

I feel like the old saying about the duck . . .calm on the surface but paddling like mad below view.

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
I feel like the old saying about the duck . . .calm on the surface but paddling like mad below view.

what is the reverse then? 'cause i think that is what i look like right now, all motion and chaos on the surface and...well, not calm on the inside.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »
I have a tip regarding those long-lost immunization records that you haven't needed to worry about in over a decade.  I don't think I ever had mine, and over the course of several moves since I started college, my mom didn't have the slightest idea where my shots records had gone off to.

So, in desperation I called my undergraduate college, and much to my surprise they still had my immunization records on file, and very kindly faxed them to me.  So, if you don't want to get all your shots again, that's something you might want to try.

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2006, 07:14:17 PM »
My undergrad had them too.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2006, 07:39:50 PM »
I had my immunization records (in my suitcase, of course, since my panty drawer is for my birth certificate) ;)  but my doctor just did the titers.  Since I have health insurance it didn't cost me anything.

mobo, I think someone that is busy busy busy on the surface and on the inside is a whirling dervish. ;)