Law School Discussion

a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)

mobo

• View Profile
Re: a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »
especially since i am going next week across the country to look for an apartment. if i don't find a good and reasonably priced one in three days i am hosed.

Assuming you're going to NU, I recommend one of these two agencies:
http://apartmentpeople.com/
http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com
We used the Apartment People, and based on our somewhat vague criteria they came up with a list of 5 places to show us, then drove us around to each one, and with the place we rented we even got a discount off our first month's rent.  Both services are free, and these people know the neighborhoods.

thank you thank you thank you....

i had heard of apt people, but good to have a second company to compare with...and thanks for the personal feedback too.

and momo, i decided on one of the hostels - who can beat the price? and at least the dorms are not coed the way they are in central america...

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2006, 01:23:16 PM »
hahahahHAHAHAHA!!!! that is SO MY LIFE!! this belongs in the stupid things people have said to you when finding out you are going to law school thread...

i wish i could record the faces people make when finding out the total for one year, and then sloooooooowly doing the math and realizing how much money that is.

Locaters or someone you know there is your lifeblood pretty much, in a cross-country move. When I moved years ago, I was lucky that my then-boyfriend lived in a good student-friendly complex, so I had him send me floorplans and picked one. I never even saw it until I showed up to move in (but I had seen his apartment before.)

As for the costs... oh god, yes. My fiance had a momentary freeak-out attack when I said something like 'Yeah, 90K worth of debt is scary....' It's just scary, and I'm really hoping everything works out well when I get into it.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
especially since i am going next week across the country to look for an apartment. if i don't find a good and reasonably priced one in three days i am hosed.

Assuming you're going to NU, I recommend one of these two agencies:
http://apartmentpeople.com/
http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com
We used the Apartment People, and based on our somewhat vague criteria they came up with a list of 5 places to show us, then drove us around to each one, and with the place we rented we even got a discount off our first month's rent.  Both services are free, and these people know the neighborhoods.

thank you thank you thank you....

i had heard of apt people, but good to have a second company to compare with...and thanks for the personal feedback too.

and momo, i decided on one of the hostels - who can beat the price? and at least the dorms are not coed the way they are in central america...

if it's the hostel on Congress it's really nice--i talked to relocators when i moved to chicago four years ago and i agree--they really know the neighborhoods. however, one day i just took the reader (local paper with listings), jumped on the El, forced myself to learn the city and found an apartment AND signed the lease by the end of the day. i'm a little nuts, though, and love the challenge :) it was fun, and like i've said a million times the chicago market is easy easy easy--you will have no problems whatsoever!

smiley

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
I haven't had my panic moment yet, but I'm sure it's coming! I'm really prone to anxiety, so maybe it will hit me the first week of classes, or maybe orientation...

I really think of education as something that is just for me. Whether I use the degree to the ends of non-profit or biglaw, I'm so anxious to get on with it, to get back into being a student and doing the readings and writing papers and stuff! It's eerie that I'm calm about it right now...maybe I'm just deluding myself. Oh, and I'm forgetting about that nightmare I had where I failed out, got depressed, and moved back to Maryland to live with my parents again.

I think as a non-trad, I'm just so overjoyed at the prospect of doing what I want to do. One of my friends who just finished his Master's at Harvard Ed School reminded me how great it will be to "just soak it all in and let things happen to you." I feel so much of the working world that we've all been a part of for a number of years is about pleasing other people, doing things on other people's terms or schedules or deadlines or scrutiny. I'm just excited that I'm going to be doing something of value to me for the first time in a long time.

I guess that's the thought that keeps me going during panic moments.

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 02:21:09 PM »
With my move only eight days away I'm pretty sure the slight anxiety has now turned into full out panic. I can barely sleep, I'm terrified to leave my friends and my life and I still can't shake the idea that I might be making a huge mistake in my choice of school. I really feel like I should be excited by now and I'm not--not one bit. I feel like I've waited so long for this day and I'm compromising--I'm really afraid that a year from now I will regret this decision and three years from now I will be stuck with a degree from a less than ideal school and a ton of debt.

And if I do completely fail next year and/or am completely miserable I'm not convinced that I will have the heart to up and leave. Maybe it's normal to feel this way..I don't know. I just really expected to be excited and I'm not...it's kind of disappointing.

Ok, whining over. drying eyes...time to pack.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
With my move only eight days away I'm pretty sure the slight anxiety has now turned into full out panic. I can barely sleep, I'm terrified to leave my friends and my life and I still can't shake the idea that I might be making a huge mistake in my choice of school. I really feel like I should be excited by now and I'm not--not one bit. I feel like I've waited so long for this day and I'm compromising--I'm really afraid that a year from now I will regret this decision and three years from now I will be stuck with a degree from a less than ideal school and a ton of debt.

And if I do completely fail next year and/or am completely miserable I'm not convinced that I will have the heart to up and leave. Maybe it's normal to feel this way..I don't know. I just really expected to be excited and I'm not...it's kind of disappointing.

We hear and understand, greengrl.  But chin up!  I read a post of yours first thing this morning (maybe on the loan repayment thread?) where you talked about the importance of analyzing COL and the regionality factor etc.  I was floored.  Of everyone on LSD, you may have done the most clear, well-reasoned analyses of all of these factors.  And you're definitely one of the best at articulating these thoughts. 

I somehow suspect that you are going to be very successful at law school (and at getting your MD, if you end up pursuing that, and probably at achieving anything else you set your sights on.) 

As for the lack of excitement...well, sometimes the anticipation is the best part.  But sometimes the anticipation is just petrifying and the joy doesn't come until you're living it.  Here's hoping!

Anyway, I have faith in you, and I'll bet I'm not the only one!!  That won't buy you much, but maybe it'll help in a rough patch. 

Good luck with your move!  Keep us posted.

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 10:27:50 PM »

totally normal, don't worry. i know very few people who don't second guess their big commitments, and law school is a big ass commitment. so some panic, some fear, some uncertainty - all totally normal. when you mix up a big ass commitment with leaving your life and support network...well, that makes it even harder to focus on all the reasons you started it in the first place.

and here's the best part...ready? you can always change your mind. if you want to transfer to a "more than ideal" school, you can work towards that goal. if you decide after one year of law school that it totally isn't for you, you leave and pursue something that makes you smile every day. if you are totally convinced right now that this IS a mistake, defer for a year, maybe move to the new city and find a job, and then see how you feel.

be creative in your problem solving....maybe all you need to do is invite your friends to come visit you in the first few weeks of school, so the transition to the new place isn't so lonely. i am doing just that with at least four different people/couples - and they all know that i plan to be studying at least one day of the weekend they are coming to visit. makes me excited about being somewhere brand new, where i know no one, and maybe exploring a little of it with people i love and who support me.

as for me, i spent my afternoon reading every single one of my rejection letters. helped give me perspective in a weird kind of way, knowing that i got rejected from some of the very very best. :D

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 02:44:29 AM »
greengrl, and anybody else who is freaking out right now...

I'm right there with you.  There are good days and bad days.  Most of my own anxiety comes from fear of the unknown.  I think once I'm moved to the city where my LS is, I'll be more calm.  (or that's what I keep telling myself, anyway!)

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 08:26:54 AM »
I'm freaking because school starts August 14th and I still don't have a place to live.  My house hasn't sold yet, so I can't buy a new place.  I'm going to have to find temporary lodging, then move during the year, whenever the house sells.  The whole thing is making me tired and depressed.

I keep reminding myself that I've been through worse and came through it okay.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »
I'm freaking because school starts August 14th and I still don't have a place to live.  My house hasn't sold yet, so I can't buy a new place.  I'm going to have to find temporary lodging, then move during the year, whenever the house sells.  The whole thing is making me tired and depressed.

I keep reminding myself that I've been through worse and came through it okay.

Aerynn, does your school have a roommate matching service?  Maybe you could use that until your house sells.  We were fortunate that we were able to sell two houses in the Tampa Bay area (just got married) and bought a house in Gainesville.  Although it seems that a lot of the houses we looked at in March are still on the market, so I think the real estate boom has slowed here, too.  Hopefully, it is only temporary - or at least will pick up again in 3 years when we're ready to go back to Tampa.  Good luck on selling your house!