Law School Discussion

a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)

Alamo

• View Profile
Re: a momentary lapse of zen (aka Panicking!)
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 05:04:05 AM »

At least you're not giving up a 6 fig salary.

That's very true.  Thank you for the perspective- I'll quit bellyaching now. ;D

I thought that's what this thread was for!

The relocation logistics are giving me more panicky moments than I care to discuss.

And quitting my job was a roller coaster of intense anxiety before telling my boss, relief at the boss's understanding, then another wave of anxiety when I realized that I can't take my resignation back at this point!  Not that I really want to, but the finality of the decision is definitely starting to set in...

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 06:35:38 AM »
Don't apologize -- I think that MANY of us can relate, and I can't imagine having to stare down an international relocation on top of everything else.  Kvetch away!  As Alamo said, that's what this thread is all about. 

I've been very fortunate in that I've made this transition in stages.  I left my "real" job early (in March, to be precise) for a whole host of reasons.  Since then I've just been consulting and temping.  It felt really impetuous at the time, but in retrospect it was a great move -- I had one of those intense, 70-hour/week, soul-sucking jobs and I can't imagine having to do the strategic thinking the last few months have required while keeping up my work.  (Applying was bad enough!)  And I'm also one of those people who agonizes over resigning, so it was good to get that out of the way early. 

That said, I've still had moments of intense anxiety (not to mention that big bout of panic which prompted this thread!)  The support of my compadres on this board has been invaluable...s'what keeps pulling me back despite all the other nonsense.

Hang in there!  You've thought this decision through really carefully.  It's a huge step, and the nerves just prove that you understand what you're taking on.  For those moments when it gets really intense, I recommend yoga.  Or red wine.  ;)

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
Just applied for my loans (or confirmed the Stafford award) and it gave me a nasty feeling to take on all that debt . . .just for one year!  The relocation anxiety is really getting to me too, since I still haven't sold my house.

Hanging in there though!  :)

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 07:13:29 AM »
Just applied for my loans (or confirmed the Stafford award) and it gave me a nasty feeling to take on all that debt . . .just for one year!  The relocation anxiety is really getting to me too, since I still haven't sold my house.

I hear ya -- a friend was with me as I went over my budget paperwork last week.  I showed her the total and she was, like, "Ouch!  That's a lot of money!  But hey, it's for three years -- not so bad." 

Of course, I then had to explain that no, that figure was for ONE year.  *Gulp*

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 10:54:04 AM »
Oh my fellow panickers--I'm so glad we can commiserate. If one more person asks me if I'm excited I might choke them. Not that I'm not excited, however, before true excitement can occur I must finalize my movers, move in, get my computer, pack my apartment, finalize everything in one city only to reinitiate all the same things in another city a few days later. BLAH! :) It feels good to know that there are so many of us all around the country and world for that matter sorting out the same logistical nightmares.

I, too, recommend red wine and many many lists. My promissory notes havent' arrived yet--I'm sure that will set off a whole new host of panic attacks. Here's to the roller coaster :)

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »
I'm so glad to find this thread and find that I am not alone.  I've been panicking, too.  My concern is giving up my job and my health insurance.  What are you all doing about health insurance, especially those who don't have working spouses? My husband has semi-retired and is just going to do contract and consulting work from home, so no insurance. I've worked for my employer for a long time.  It is a small, very close company and everyone has been very supportive and they let me work from my new home.  They want me to continue to work when I start school, which is prohibited by my school for first year students, unless I get a waiver from the dean.  I would just resign, except for (1) the health insurance (which I have as a part time employee); and (2) the legal contacts I have through my job which will help me when I am ready to look for a job.  On the other hand, I am panicking about handling the workload for law school, plus work.

Thanks for letting me rant.

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm so glad to find this thread and find that I am not alone.  I've been panicking, too.  My concern is giving up my job and my health insurance.  What are you all doing about health insurance, especially those who don't have working spouses? My husband has semi-retired and is just going to do contract and consulting work from home, so no insurance. I've worked for my employer for a long time.  It is a small, very close company and everyone has been very supportive and they let me work from my new home.  They want me to continue to work when I start school, which is prohibited by my school for first year students, unless I get a waiver from the dean.  I would just resign, except for (1) the health insurance (which I have as a part time employee); and (2) the legal contacts I have through my job which will help me when I am ready to look for a job.  On the other hand, I am panicking about handling the workload for law school, plus work.

Thanks for letting me rant.

a lot of schools offer health insurance for students and their spouses at a decent rate, especially if you are going to a larger and/or state school. check it out before you feel obligated to take on part time work

mobo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »

I hear ya -- a friend was with me as I went over my budget paperwork last week.  I showed her the total and she was, like, "Ouch!  That's a lot of money!  But hey, it's for three years -- not so bad." 

hahahahHAHAHAHA!!!! that is SO MY LIFE!! this belongs in the stupid things people have said to you when finding out you are going to law school thread...

i wish i could record the faces people make when finding out the total for one year, and then sloooooooowly doing the math and realizing how much money that is.

the relocation stress has me going too, especially since i am going next week across the country to look for an apartment. if i don't find a good and reasonably priced one in three days i am hosed.

Momo09

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2006, 12:59:47 AM »

hahahahHAHAHAHA!!!! that is SO MY LIFE!! this belongs in the stupid things people have said to you when finding out you are going to law school thread...

i wish i could record the faces people make when finding out the total for one year, and then sloooooooowly doing the math and realizing how much money that is.

the relocation stress has me going too, especially since i am going next week across the country to look for an apartment. if i don't find a good and reasonably priced one in three days i am hosed.

call the student affair's office, they keep a log of nearby apartments popular with their students.  Ask if any current students are willing to put you up for the 3 days you are there.  ALso you can call they UG housing office and ask if there is room in the dorms you can pay to stay at, so you can save on hotel fees.  Unless you are familiar with the area, internet searches is a waste of time.  Ask for recommendations from current student body. 

Good luck.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2006, 08:02:57 AM »
especially since i am going next week across the country to look for an apartment. if i don't find a good and reasonably priced one in three days i am hosed.

Assuming you're going to NU, I recommend one of these two agencies:
http://apartmentpeople.com/
http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com
We used the Apartment People, and based on our somewhat vague criteria they came up with a list of 5 places to show us, then drove us around to each one, and with the place we rented we even got a discount off our first month's rent.  Both services are free, and these people know the neighborhoods.