Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sex offenders sue for playground access  (Read 757 times)

pandamafia

Sex offenders sue for playground access
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
From CNN:
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- Six sex offenders sued the city Wednesday to block a new ordinance that bars them from venturing within 1,000 feet of parks, pools and playgrounds when children are present.

The plaintiffs went to federal court to argue that the law is unconstitutionally vague, violates their rights to vote and attend church, and prevents them from freely traveling on roads that may pass within 1,000 feet of the affected sites.

The ordinance was approved May 15 and took effect immediately. It carries fines of up to $2,500.

The law includes an exception that permits sex offenders to visit those sites as long as they are with another adult who is not a convicted sexual offender.

The six, who include convicted child molesters and rapists, are represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana.

Tenley Drescher, an attorney for the city, said officials planned to defend the ordinance. "The important part is protecting kids," she said.

What do you guys think about this article? I understand the argument that this law would prevent sex offenders from voting, access to the public roads, etc. However, certain precautions need to be taken to protect society, and I believe molesters/rapists give up these rights when they commit these types of crimes.

Also, off topic, what would happen if you were a lawyer and these people became your clients? If you were morally against your client’s position, would you represent them because your firm wanted you to or risk getting fired?  I would risk getting fired.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sex offenders sue for playground access
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:36 PM »
Where's the ACLU?  I thought they'd be all over this...

Oh wait, they are.  What a good, family friendly organization.  Silly me, liberals don't believe in families... at least the ones who support the ACLU.  Of course this doesn't affect most white ACLU supporters, they live in white suburbs.  Don't you guys ever get dizzy thinking about what hypocrites you are?

What the hell is this?

redemption

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:08 PM »
Where's the ACLU?  I thought they'd be all over this...

Oh wait, they are.  What a good, family friendly organization.  Silly me, liberals don't believe in families... at least the ones who support the ACLU.  Of course this doesn't affect most white ACLU supporters, they live in white suburbs.  Don't you guys ever get dizzy thinking about what hypocrites you are?

What the hell is this?

It's his style. Limbaugh at first, then O'Reilly, then David Brooks. Why? Who knows?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:03:25 AM »
Nah.  Your parents worked their asses off.  For you to be able to grow up without any issues.  But they obviously didn't remind you enough where they came from, or where your grandparents came from (I don't mean location, I mean general lifestyle).  And how nobody really helped them.  Otherwise, you'd think twice before handing over half your tax bill to pay for transfer programs to people who don't work at all... and you'd be a little more willing to protect the things that your elders couldn't do where they came from.

This is one of the most mindless things I've ever seen you post and it's just not true.  When I was younger, my father constantly reminded me of how much federal and state assistance he received growing up below the poverty line.  He told me how the state paid for his polio vaccination which allowed him to live and that whenever he pays his taxes he is proud to be able to be helping other people have a chance at a better life.  Most people who are able to rise out of poverty are humble people who acknowledge the sacrifices others have made to help them along the way and realize that they didn't do anything alone.  Brash libertarians project their views onto other people's family history and it's just false.

redemption

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »
Good post.  I think it's the most vile thing in the world when people like Rush Limbaugh were on welfare for years and as soon as he has listeners derides the entire system as existing solely to enable good-for-nothing-single-mothers to stay at home and smoke crack.  It's too bad he went blind - couldn't God have made him mute instead?

I blame the people who tune in and believe it. Limbaugh has an incentive to speak this way: money. What are the ditto-heads' incentives to listen to him other than to have their hatred articulated well?

redemption

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:24:53 AM »
He would've still made money popularizing such terms as feminazi.  He didn't need to rail against welfare and drug users.  He's a vile person.

I can't argue with that.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »
Good post.  I think it's the most vile thing in the world when people like Rush Limbaugh were on welfare for years and as soon as he has listeners derides the entire system as existing solely to enable good-for-nothing-single-mothers to stay at home and smoke crack.  It's too bad he went blind - couldn't God have made him mute instead?

I blame the people who tune in and believe it. Limbaugh has an incentive to speak this way: money. What are the ditto-heads' incentives to listen to him other than to have their hatred articulated well?

The fact that they don't realize just how insulting the term "ditto-head" is speaks volumes.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.