• View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:36:56 PM »
:)
LSN

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: How would you feel about a ban on profanity in public places?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »
People should just censor themselves.  I don't like to see people use profanity around little kids, because little kids copy what they hear.  It's probably generally a good idea to learn to speak without using a lot of profanity, because otherwise it can slip out at really awkward moments.

I used to curse like a sailor, but I've toned it down a lot after spending lots of time with children and old people.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

southerncowboy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »
i have never understood why people consider vulgar language bad.  I view saying kiss my butt or kiss my ass as being the same.

southerncowboy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »
There is nothing morally wrong with profanity it is for the common people, thus, it dumbs you down, except in certain situations  where it is a more approproite selection than normal talk, such as sexual situations.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »
I can't stand when someone curses within earshot of my son.  I give them all the nastiest looks and cover his ears.  There's a time and place to curse- i suppose- but keep it on your construction sites and other places where there's no kids.

southerncowboy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:01:37 PM »
I can't stand when someone curses within earshot of my son.  I give them all the nastiest looks and cover his ears.  There's a time and place to curse- i suppose- but keep it on your construction sites and other places where there's no kids.

I'm curious as to why you find profanity offensive.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »

I don't find it offensive in every setting.  I find it offensive at my son's soccer game or when I'm at an ice cream stand getting him icecream.  I use profanity myself- much less than I used to, but never in the presence of a child. 

southerncowboy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »

I don't find it offensive in every setting.  I find it offensive at my son's soccer game or when I'm at an ice cream stand getting him icecream.  I use profanity myself- much less than I used to, but never in the presence of a child. 
Good reasoning but I just can not bring myself to think profanity is bad.  I just think it is the language of the common people, which can dumb you down.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »
Why do prudes need to be more tolerant?  Maybe it's because they insist others shouldn't be allowed to have sex a certain way or with a certain person.  Maybe it's because they insist you can't have stores open before 1:30pm on Sundays.  Maybe it's because they think it should be illegal to sell alcohol on Sunday.  

Why should they take more responsibility?  Look, if you don't want your child watching certain TV programs, turn the TV off.  Don't insist that TV be censored.  Oh, boohoo, your 5 year old heard a cuss word and now they're scarred for life.  Golly gee, maybe you can teach your child to learn to speak fluently and appropriately instead of insisting that others watch what they say.
Instead of shielding your child or yourself from the "bad"  ::) things in life, how about learning to deal with them instead?  Don't ever infringe on someone elses sovereignty just because you're a prude.

It's not a matter of teaching your child to speak fluently and appropriately- it's a matter of them hearing someone being called a cock sucker in public.  That's offensive.  IE.."Mommy, what's a cock sucker?"

lsatflunkie

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:49 PM »

Good reasoning but I just can not bring myself to think profanity is bad.  I just think it is the language of the common people, which can dumb you down.

In certain settings, it's bad.  I'm not saying if you say "Oh *&^%"- i'm talking vulgar profanity- but I suppose people define vulgar profanity differently.