Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grammar Question: 'and' or not...  (Read 1082 times)

noell.sweet

Grammar Question: 'and' or not...
« on: August 12, 2004, 01:56:46 PM »
"I am exposed to important legal cases such as copyright infringement against Hewlett-Packard, new contract deals for NIKE, and an Initial Public Offering for a Silicon Valley solar energy company which has allowed me to think beyond my filing responsibilities and about the cases themselves."

OR

"I am exposed to important legal cases such as copyright infringement against Hewlett-Packard, new contract deals for NIKE, and an Initial Public Offering for a Silicon Valley solar energy company which has allowed me to think beyond my filing responsibilities about the cases themselves."

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grammar Question: 'and' or not...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:43:43 PM »
"allowing me to think beyond my filing responsabilities to the cases themselves.."

buster

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:49:37 PM »
"I am exposed to important legal cases such as copyright infringement against Hewlett-Packard, new contract deals for NIKE, and an Initial Public Offering for a Silicon Valley solar energy company which has allowed me to think beyond my filing responsibilities and about the cases themselves."

OR

"I am exposed to important legal cases such as copyright infringement against Hewlett-Packard, new contract deals for NIKE, and an Initial Public Offering for a Silicon Valley solar energy company which has allowed me to think beyond my filing responsibilities about the cases themselves."

...solar energy company. This provides me with a valuable opportunity to consider the details of the cases themselves rather than simply my specific filing responsibilites.

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »
I actually like the first version with the 'and'; it makes more sense.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:08:39 PM »
Maybe break it into two sentences.  your major point seems to be that you are thinking about the cases, but it's kinda lost at the tail end of the sentence.

noell.sweet

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:24:10 PM »
As a file clerk at Tonkon Torp, I am able to observe the staff members around me daily.  I have questioned several people about their jobs and what they do.  I am exposed to high profile legal cases such as copyright infringement(s)?, new contract signings, and Initial Public Offerings.  My involvement has allowed me to think beyond my filing responsibilities and about the cases themselves.  The attorneys and their assistants are always more than willing to keep me informed of new issues in a case.

Is this better?  :-\

buster

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 06:07:21 PM »

noell.sweet

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:13:36 PM »
Cool thanks! ... I agree, that does make more sense ... LOL.

Almost done with this stupid thing!  :o

Much better.  Also, instead of :

"high profile cases such as"

(since your examples aren't exactly parallel) try

"high profile cases involving copyright infringement and Initial Public Offerings, as well as new contract signings."

noell.sweet

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 06:22:35 PM »
How about this sentence?  It sounds strange to me, but I think it is the correct grammar, is it?

"This was my first experience of Lewis and Clark Law School."

OR

"This was my first experience with Lewis and Clark Law School."

OR

something else?

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »
"with Lewis and Clark" is correct.