Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Midterms  (Read 772 times)

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Law School Midterms
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »

I understand that many professors give midterms particularly to first year students, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether these midterms are given during class time.  It's a  long story why I'm womdering this, but please give me any feedback you can. 

More specifically, I'm attending Seton Hall Law in the fall so I'm really wondering what goes on over there with midterms...thanks...

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Midterms
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »
The only "midterms" I encountered were in my full-year (as opposed to semester-long courses); I only had 2 of those.  The midterms were essentially identical to the finals, given during finals week in December under identical conditions.  The only difference is that they counted for 20% of the course grade, rather than 100%.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:08:37 PM »
Most "midterms" given by law professors are practice exams.  I had all different types.  Sometimes the prof gave us the exam, which was a shortened version of an old exam, let us work on it for 40 minutes, then went over it before class ended.  Another prof gave us a whole class, then discussed it at the beginning the next class.  A third prof would reserve the room, and give a practice exam to make up for classes she had to cancel.  None of these counted toward our grades, they were just to track how well you understood the course.  My contracts class had a midterm.  That though was because it was a year-long course, and the school wanted to keep the students honest.  My contracts midterm will be used to "adjust" our grades on the final.  Basically if you did a lot better on the midterm than the final, your grade will go up by maybe half a grade.  And the opposite if you did a lot worse on the midterm.  Other contracts class made the midterm a certain percentage of the final grade, like 25 or 30%.

Generally though, you will have one graded exam per semester.

flydog

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »
I think these are pretty rare as most schools I applied to dont have them. Whittier only has end of year exams so the Fall exams are sort of a practice test that professors have the option of using to determine grades.

Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »
According to their academic calendar GW has a single reading day and then a single day of midterms in October.
The rest of the week is fall break. There are no midterms in Spring.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:57:02 AM »
The one midterm that I was given this year was scheduled by the professor outside of normal class time.

I don't know how things work at Seton Hall, but actual midterm exams (as opposed to being given copies of old/practice exams) are very rare in law school.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:26:03 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.  I'm particularly curious about whether they are held during class time because I'm in a wedding (bridesmaid, can't get out of it) during the first week of October.  The wedding is on a Saturday.  Seton Hall has some of their final exams on Saturdays so I was concerned that a midterm might be scheduled the same way.  I've heard Seton Hall does give midterms, but I'm trying to find out whether they are typically given during class time. Note:  I'm an evening student.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:45:02 PM »
If Seton Hall does hold midterms, it is very unlikely that it would be held as early in the term as the first week of October; its really too early in 1L year to have the knowledge to take a meaningful exam.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:04:30 AM »

I understand that many professors give midterms particularly to first year students, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether these midterms are given during class time.  It's a  long story why I'm womdering this, but please give me any feedback you can. 

More specifically, I'm attending Seton Hall Law in the fall so I'm really wondering what goes on over there with midterms...thanks...

first of all, i need to say that i have no idea. this caught my eye because i had a dream the other night about exams. i dreamed i took an exam was wondering how well i did.

it's begun.

just imagine, we have 3 years of this.

after i dreamed this, i had fun with friends and had fun over the weekend.

our lives will change...how we study at least will change probably....hopefully.

don't sweat it.

just realize that now is the ONLy TIME we will have to procrastinate.

HOPE THIS HELPS,

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
If Seton Hall does hold midterms, it is very unlikely that it would be held as early in the term as the first week of October; its really too early in 1L year to have the knowledge to take a meaningful exam.

Thanks...that makes me feel better. :)