Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Odd ND call  (Read 1687 times)

aquafinaisbetter

Re: Odd ND call
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 01:37:18 AM »
Ok guys, some people I know who got into Notre Dame Law got phone calls asking if they would choose to defer because too many accepted applicants chose to go there.  I chose to go to NDLS and haven't gotten the phone call.  Anyone here get the call?

well i guess we're DEFINITELY not getting called off the waitlist. that sucks.

I think that they are a little premature still.  many haven't received word about other waitlists. 

i owe you two dozen of my world famous chocolate chip cookies for forcing me to stay optimistic about my ND dream :) however, there has just been too much "we received more seat deposits than we expected" talk. i'm guessing if there is ANY action on the waitlist it won't be until the first week of classes

well, you should know that I am a world famous chocolate chip cookie taste tester!!!  you see, the thread right below you is a perfect example of why you should stay optimistic.  I know a bunch of people are waiting on Cornell who is about to take people off the "reserve list."  This is supposed to happen anytime and I bet that many on this reserve list also happen to hold spots in the ND class.  Would you still consider even if you found out during the first week of classes?

well, that depends on whether i'm in school or not. yeah, this old woman is still not completely happy with her options and **might** reapply next year. in that case, probably. otherwise, i think i'll have to set a realistic point after which I won't move. however...ask me again if i get the phone call from ND the first week of classes :) and save me a seat--in the front, i don't wanna wear my glasses :) i'll bring the chocolate chip cookies

here's to waitlists moving....the wait continues

to waiting.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 03:10:26 AM »
I guess the chances of transferring in after this year are shot...crap!!!

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 03:15:22 AM »
this stuff has nothing to do with transfers.  remember, students leave school, leaving seats and lost tuition revenue behind.  schools want their cash. 

if a student defers admission, that does not mean they are guaranteed admission as a 2L transfer.  no, they have to wait an entire year to matriculate as a 1L. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:34 AM »
this stuff has nothing to do with transfers.  remember, students leave school, leaving seats and lost tuition revenue behind.  schools want their cash. 

if a student defers admission, that does not mean they are guaranteed admission as a 2L transfer.  no, they have to wait an entire year to matriculate as a 1L.    

I'm just thinking that with that many people accepting admission, they probably will allow a little overflow, but will seek to cutoff after a certain higher number. Therefore, even if a few people drop out/transfer, they will still have a full class for 2L, thus transfer seats will be even more limited than they would otherwise be.  I'm fully aware of what the word "defer" means.  Thanks, though.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »

Not necessarily.  I doubt it helps your chances, though. :-\

check out their website; they usually only admit one or two transfer students per year anyway.

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:54:24 AM »
Ok guys, some people I know who got into Notre Dame Law got phone calls asking if they would choose to defer because too many accepted applicants chose to go there.  I chose to go to NDLS and haven't gotten the phone call.  Anyone here get the call?

well i guess we're DEFINITELY not getting called off the waitlist. that sucks.

I think that they are a little premature still.  many haven't received word about other waitlists. 

i owe you two dozen of my world famous chocolate chip cookies for forcing me to stay optimistic about my ND dream :) however, there has just been too much "we received more seat deposits than we expected" talk. i'm guessing if there is ANY action on the waitlist it won't be until the first week of classes

Here's a thought: sue them for breach of contract... :P
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »

Not necessarily.  I doubt it helps your chances, though. :-\

check out their website; they usually only admit one or two transfer students per year anyway.

just to update you.. today ND put up the Enrollment Verification form on the internet.  this form allows one to check one of three boxes 1)I will be attending 2)I will not be attending 3)I"m still undecided.  They even communicate that this form will allow communication to their waitlist.  Thus this reaffirms my beleif that it is premature to rule them out.  This form just went up today and is due July 11.  So I don't doubt the waitlist will begin to move soon.

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
I was at ND on Tuesday to show my mom and girlfriend and look for housing.  We took a tour with Margaret from the admissions office.  Right now she is the only person there because Heather Moriconi had her baby and was put on bed rest 3 weeks before she was supposed to leave and the director left in January.  Right now one of the Dean's is handling all of the waitlist stuff and she asked the admissions office to make some calls to gauge student interest in order to get a picture of what the waitlist situation will be this year.

Ever

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 03:11:07 AM »
Rough year.

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
I was at ND on Tuesday to show my mom and girlfriend and look for housing.  We took a tour with Margaret from the admissions office.  Right now she is the only person there because Heather Moriconi had her baby and was put on bed rest 3 weeks before she was supposed to leave and the director left in January.  Right now one of the Dean's is handling all of the waitlist stuff and she asked the admissions office to make some calls to gauge student interest in order to get a picture of what the waitlist situation will be this year.

Thanks for the update.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie