Law School Discussion

Importance of Undergrad Institution

Importance of Undergrad Institution
« on: August 12, 2004, 10:39:59 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of value is placed behind the undergraduate institution that you attended?  Does the LSAC weighting of GPAs take that into account or does it only factor in A+'s?  Any thoughts would be helpful.

nonobvious

• 167/3.66
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of Undergrad Institution
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 10:44:24 AM »
LSAC does not take that into account in calculating your GPA.

As for admissions, there has been a recent thread with much speculation and kvetching both ways, but here's an older thread with another perspective:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=779.0

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:07:47 AM »
The nutechseed link does not work and trying to go from nutechseed.com is a complete failure.  Any idea of where to find the spreadsheet they mention?

nonobvious

• 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »
The reason I linked to that thread was more for the Deloggio discussion than the spreadsheet.  I did actually manage to find the spreadsheet by searching for nutechseed on google, but I don't think it's all that different from what chiashu does [it doesn't include any extra UG weights in the calculation since adcoms would keep that info confidential,
the only new thing is to add 3-6 points to your LSAT score if you are URM]...

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »
I am about as honky as they come so I don't think I qualify as a URM.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 11:59:03 AM »
LSAC does give schools a report on avg. LSAT scores for people who attended the same college you did, so they can at least compare schools that way.

Also, the adcom members are humans with memories and most have been doing this awhile.  If they have had experiences admitting students with high grades from XXX Univ. in the past and the students didn't do well, they will remember it.  Same for the students with lower grades from YYY Univ. that have done well. 

So I think it does play a part, though unquantifiable.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 12:11:39 PM »
A valid point; but, does the reputation of your school matter at all, other than how other students from your school have done.  I went to a top 5 school; but, my GPA is below 3.5.  I got a 174 on the LSAT and wonder how much my school is factored into my application.

Maryanne007

• GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 12:28:08 PM »
A friend at yale who went to a law school type meeting where HYS and Cornell admissions officers came to speak on campus said that school does matter and they will look favorably at the top schools.  So if you went to a top 5 school, I'm sure it'll help a little.

On another note, I had posted this on another thread, but while checking Harvard's grids for 2003 admits, Columbia's mean gpa for accepted Harvard students was a 3.67... which is a little lower than the mean for accepted students overall, but hey the average lsat at harvard is 167.  I dont know how much undergrad counts, but I hope it does a little!  :)

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 12:50:50 PM »
Maryanne - the thing I find more striking is the fact that the mean GPA from Harvard applicants is 167 when the mean GPA of admits to Columbia Law is 170 (167-173).  I think that is even stronger evidence for the influence of undergraduate institution.

Maryanne007

• GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »
sorry, what i meant was mean lsat score for all harvard students is 167.. the mean lsat that was accepted to columbia was still like 169 or 170.? 

the gpa i think is given a little more leeway, not so with lsat