Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: underused?  (Read 970 times)

jiggedyjared

underused?
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:21 AM »
Does anyone else feel underused in their current job?  I'm working as a Financial Analyst, and a lot of what I do makes me feel dumb.  I work with smart people, and the job pays well... but some of the required crap makes me want to punch myself in the face.  Updating power point slides, cut-paste numbers... am I alone in this, or is this symptomatic of entry level work?

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
Re: underused?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:13:26 PM »
Does anyone else feel underused in their current job?  I'm working as a Financial Analyst, and a lot of what I do makes me feel dumb.  I work with smart people, and the job pays well... but some of the required crap makes me want to punch myself in the face.  Updating power point slides, cut-paste numbers... am I alone in this, or is this symptomatic of entry level work?

Maybe you should quit and go to law school.

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:43:31 PM »
Better to be underused than overused.

Agreed.  Enjoy the ease of entry level work while you still can.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 04:03:03 PM »
Indeed...

I was certainly underused at my last job. Felt like I was rotting.

Since I got promoted? I feel like I'm running uphill wearing treadless shoes on slick ice.

Once we figure out what we're doing it'll get easier.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »
Better to be underused than overused.

I've been both, and they both suck in different ways.  In many of the most challenging jobs, there's a feast-or-famine like quality to them - either you've got way too much on your plate or too much time on your hands.  As a management/technology consultant, I've felt both of these ways.  But I've rarely felt like I've been faced with work that has really challenged my intellectual ability - this is one of the major reasons I'm going into law.  I know there's also administrative drudgery that goes along with the profession, but in sum I know that's where my interests lie.  Looking forward to getting these last 2 months over with.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 05:03:23 AM »
Yes, I am definately underused.  It can make you doubt your own intelligence- as in are you really smart enough to do something more?  The mental rot is similar to spending months on the couch watching daytime TV.

SCgrad

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:08:05 AM »
i believe i win this award.  today, the most productive thing i did was cut out cards for some stupid game for Japanese 7th graders.  which is more than I did monday or friday, which was literally 7 hours of nothing.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
<<  Touches his index finger to his nose.

In addition, I'm working three day weeks to burn off vacations my employer will not pay me for upon my departure.  This is SO sweet.

i believe i win this award.  today, the most productive thing i did was cut out cards for some stupid game for Japanese 7th graders.  which is more than I did monday or friday, which was literally 7 hours of nothing.

Quintana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:12:32 PM »
  I get paid, and paid well, to do stuff a trained monkey could do.  It doesn't matter if I do my job well or not, so long as it is done.  I don't really know what purpose my work serves- I just move rich people's/corporation's money around.  Its hard to take pride in, or derive any satisfaction from my job.  Its really quite depressing, or it would be if I wasn't off to law school in 2 months ;D ;D
Attending Brooklyn Law School