Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Maryland Class of 2009  (Read 5609 times)

kmatt

• AOL Instant Messenger - kebbo16
    • View Profile
    • Maryland Law Discussion Board
    • Email
Re: University of Maryland Class of 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 04:14:10 PM »
I'll try to give the best summary of Welcome Night that I can and point out all the important info that they gave us. Thelynifer, if you went too, feel free to fill in the gaps that I might leave. Basically, it was a tour of the building (which I assume probably everyone has had already when they visited), a sample class (very good, knowledgeable and effective professor, I think her last name was Norton, about a case in Oregon using the tort of outrageous conduct), and a little reception. We had a chance to ask the Peer Assistants (whatever they're called) questions as well as the dean of registration. Important info: laptops will be ready soon (you don't have to have UMD's but it needs to conform to their technical standards, if you have a question then email the Tech Dept.), health insurance and mandatory health forms will be emailed out soon and posted on the Incoming Students page, suggested that you do NOT take Pre-Law School courses as they're just a waste of money, book lists don't come out till pretty soon before classes start so it's really not possible to get any sort of head start, orientation is in late August (look at the calendar online), generally law school at Maryland is highly strenuous but they stressed not worrying about what other people are doing or how much time they're spending on certain assignments since everyone's going to work at a different pace, there's always happy hours or get-togethers going on all around the city, clinic is of course required, a lot of the students seemed to like University Suites while some other lived in Federal Hill and just walked over in the mornings without any problems...and that's about all that I can remember from the discussions. I'd suggest going to the second Welcome Night in July if you can, since it really does give you a chance to get to know at least a few people (not the most conducive environment for meeting people I've ever seen, but I got to know a few names and faces). If I can think of anything else relevent, then I'll try to post again, or if you want to ask me a question about Welcome Night, my email is kevinmattingly@gmail.com and my IM is kebbo16. And JTRich, I got the "Baltimore" style in the Historic section of University Suites. I'd email them because they didn't send me any information until I pestered them about room assignment, roommates, style, etc. They just gave me two random roommates that I still need to get in touch with. Anyways, good luck and good summers to everyone. Feel free to get in touch!

Kevin
LSAT: 164, GPA: 3.5, UG: UNC-CH

In: Maryland, Emory, American, Wake
Out: Boston College
WL: Boston U., GW, Fordham, W&M, UNC

Attending: Maryland Law - Class of '09...FEAR THE TURTLE!!

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 04:24:35 PM »
Kevin -- I think you covered just about everything, but I didn't see you mention that section assignments will be out around the middle of July :) (so the day students will at least know when they have classes)

Congrats - thelynifer :)

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »
JTRich --

Congratulations :) Just consider that you will be directly across the street from the school, minutes away from lots of cultural activites in Baltimore and with three bedrooms and only one other roommate- you can have bedrooms on opposite sides of the apartment, so you won't have to listen to each other if you don't want to :)

I think the school adds some money for laptops into your loan money, so ask them whether or not you have to buy it first or if you can wait until you get your rebate check to purchase the laptop.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
Inquirer: Thanks! I'm really excited about going to UMB  :D

I think you guys pretty much covered everything. The only thing I wished they would have talked about more was housing. It seemed like no one had any more helpful information than what is on the website. I know a lot of people were talking about the Suites and Federal Hill, but neither option seems good for me. It's a lot cheaper to live off campus, and Federal Hill is approx. a 25 min walk. I'm actually going to be living in a townhouse on Roundhouse Ct (where I'll have my own bedroom and bathroom!) with some pharmacy students. It's only about a 10 min walk, maybe even less. Is anyone else living with non-law students?

kmatt

• AOL Instant Messenger - kebbo16
    • View Profile
    • Maryland Law Discussion Board
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 09:37:49 AM »
Every other place that I looked at in the neighborhood was going to be more expensive than University Suites. I might be wrong, but I was calling around and getting estimates in the 800-900 range plus 100 for parking + utilities (U. Suites for me is 795 total a month). The other places are probably much nicer, but I actually found University Suites to be cheaper since all utilities were included and parking was half the cost. Remember, big city = expensive. I figure I'm just going to give University Suites a year and if I don't like it, I'll change for my second year. At the Welcome Night, the people who lived in the Suites said they thought it was fine and had no problems with it. They also said it was a big plus to have your apartment so close that you could run home for lunch during the day or just could avoid a long walk back home in the evenings. Good luck finding some information on other places and getting one cheaper if you can, JTRich!

Kevin
LSAT: 164, GPA: 3.5, UG: UNC-CH

In: Maryland, Emory, American, Wake
Out: Boston College
WL: Boston U., GW, Fordham, W&M, UNC

Attending: Maryland Law - Class of '09...FEAR THE TURTLE!!

Huntre17

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
Baltimore is not a huge city and there are lots of places to live.  I live in Canton, which is on the east side, maybe a 10/15 minute drive depending on traffic.  I'd think for the cost of the on campus housing there are a lot of other places you could live.  Also, as the west side is really in the early phases of emerging there is stuff there, but not as much as other neighborhoods like Federal Hill, Canton, Hampden, and Fells Point.  And if you want to do an up and coming area there is Patterson Park, Brewers Hill or Washington Village.  For example, Lexington Market is right there, but I don't know of any grocery stores nearby.  There are a lot of options available around the city in terms of housing - check Craigslist, www.baltssc.com, and The Baltimore City Paper www.citypaper.com.  Personally, I think the housing MD tells you about is nice, and sure it is convenient, but it is also pricey.  I also like the idea of being a little removed from the school, that way school and life are still a little separated.  Also, Jtrich I'm sure you could find a pet friendly place near the school so you don't have to give up your dog.  Anyhow, I have lived in Baltimore my whole life (well except for college) so I can hopefully help if you have any questions about the city.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »
OK...I'm probably the most indecisive person ever but I'm now reconsidering living in the Suites. My main reason for this reconsideration is the price Iíll be paying ($780+55 parking=$830).

Can I find a decent...well, nice apartment for that price off campus in a nice, close neighborhood?

Yeah, you definitely can if you look hard enough. If you don't mind having a roommate(s), you can get a decent-great place for less than 700. The place I'm living is great (the room and bathroom are big) and the house is nice/spacious and I'm paying 625 a month. There's also free parking. Although it is nice to have all inclusive, a lot of places you'll just have to pay electric (like mine) but with roommates you're spilting that 2-4 ways. I looked at places, while not quite as nice, ranging from 375-595. You've just gotta get in there and look hard. Of course, I only live an hours away so it's not as difficult for me as some others.

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 10:22:56 AM »
Oh and check out UMB's housing website. There are plenty of people on there looking for roommates. There are also some house/apt owners looking to rent out.

http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/ads/index.cfm

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 10:52:53 AM »
Thelynifer--

Congrats on finding a place to live! Pharmacy students are likely going to be really busy too, so your place should be nice and quiet :)

I live by myself but I was considering getting a roommate (I'd talked to a few law and non law students)because I'm never going to be at home. I realized though that I don't really like living with other people and  that my neighbors keep a good enough watch on my house when Im not there, so I'm gonna stick with my current arrangement :)

Huntre --

I know there's a grocery stoore (Safeway, Superfresh, something)  on Carey street, which is about a 3 minute drive away from the school, as well as Hollins Market on Hollins (It's a cleaner than Lexington Market and the vendors are nicer there).  Apparently though, Peapod delivers to the Suites and grocery delievery is ultra-convienient (I use Santoni's sometimes) :)

JTRich --

What exactly are you looking for? The neighborhoods Huntre mentioned this time around are really about the best options any student on a budget has (outside of the University Suites) who wants to live on their own.  Really, 1 bedroom apartments in nice neighborhoods that allow pets are going to be around the same price - if not more like Kevin alluded to (assuming that you don't have to pay utilities at the University Suites).  Additionally, I think I've mentioned this before, but parking in downtown Baltimore is generally more expensive than $55/month, unless you're parking at night and dont mind walking - so the $55 is a really good deal (evening students have to pay $4/ day to park in the garage and assuming attendance at every class and no extra library vists, that works out to $64)

I recognize that it's difficult to believe people over the internet, so it looks to me like you might want to visit Baltimore at some point before moving and try to find an aparment that suits your tastes, otherwise try to sign a short-term lease for campus housing and move into a different apartment during the Christmas break. 

Hopefully, that information is helpful :)

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
I think it might be useful to mention that there is some drama regarding a 72% rate increase in utilities in the area -- I think the state legislature worked out some sort of deal so that the increase wouldn't be that dramatic, but I think utilties will be starting to rise on July 1st. (Huntre, do you remember the specifics of the deal?)