Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HOW GOOD IS FLORIDA STATE ?  (Read 1437 times)

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Re: HOW GOOD IS FLORIDA STATE ?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
Wherever one goes to school outside of the T14, employment opps. will generally be regional.  That said, I won't speak on SMU only on why FSU makes sense for me in FL and the SE.

While I agree with a lot of what has been said (save for Alec's baseless comment), I think one should also note the ABA data and the up and coming nature of FSU's younger law program. If you look at the data reported by the ABA, they suggest that UF/FSU are neck and neck; in terms of entering GPA/LSAT, employment numbers (FSU actually better), bar passage (with Feb. test included), % employed in state (all three schools around 81%), etc.  Miami is behind in most of these categories (although not by much). Miami does have the benefit of reporting higher starting salaries, however, this must be tempered with an adjustment for cost of living differences (e.g. http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=100000&city1=5000&city2=8240).

Obviously, I think Florida State is really good and I can only share reasons why I will be attending.  Being from out of state (currently work in Philly), I knew I wanted to get back to the SE, find a school that's affordable, and wanted to be in a state capital (I think this is a really big benefit to any student in law school whether he/she wants to enter polics or working for the government) because of the opportunities it offers law students. I did not grow up in Florida and hence, am not really that aware of the whole Florida school rivalry situation.  I did not apply to Florida (could not imagine being in Gainsville when not an undergrad) and was accepted at both Miami and FSU.  The cost at Miami (imo) is ridiculous and unless you have a significant benefactor (I do not), I could not imagine one paying that much (exception being at a T14 school).  Sure, the city will be more fun to live and you will have better job opps in S.Fla out of the gate, but you likely will be more distracted. Also classes at Miami are bigger, traffic/parking a nightmare, which all could interfere with studies.

With FSU you are betting more on an up-and-coming school and yourself rather than paying for a name, which it's fair to say is worth something (lawyers are self-preserving and will fight to the death to give their reputation the upperhand whether it's deserved or not).  FSU's reputation has grow measurably and there are more and more students coming to FSU from out of state. As a result, I believe it's reputation and alumni base will continue to grow in step and rival that of the older, perhaps currently more established, UF and Miami schools.

At FSU, I believe I will be able to focus more on my studies (and in a rather collegial environment), worry less about finances, discover opportunities for networking, clerkships, and jobs that would not be present at the other two (save for corporate law in Miami). Taken together, FSU was clearly the top Florida school for me.

Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »
Well Alec, I guess you're headed to the right place.. making decisions/choices/judgments solely on the basis of the something as subjective as prestige. Sure, working 80 hours/wk., slaving to the interests of a large firm only to live in a 10 x 10 studio with a few fake friends in a city that reaks, is unsafe, and full of people who'd run you over for a dollar...these qualify as prestigious. I'm happy that you've found a school, a city, and a career path that suits your needs, not to mention, it'll surely be easier for you to find employment driving a dump truck in NYC considering the stockpiles of trash to be found there.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
Okay, so Alec may be an ass, but when you look at FSU and UF numbers (particularly people who applied to both) most go to UF over FSU if they are accepted at both. FSU may be near UF in median LSAT and GPA, but most instaters who get into UF go there first. Uh, pretty similar to undergrad. "Half ass U" kids just didn't get into UF, and hey, there's nothing wrong with that per se.

PS- don't shoot the messenger, this is the prevailing feeling throughout the state with the exception of 60 miles radius around Tallytown.

ms

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 11:39:34 PM »
FSU is the worst school in the country.  Sure they place alright in the Tallahassee legal market but is it worth dealing with illiterate 'Noles fans for 3 years?  I'd rather give up law for a career in driving a dump truck.

I think the dump truck is just the closet ACR in you.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »
as good as you make it ;D

UMGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 03:17:45 AM »
Speaking as a Miami grad, I think FSU is in the worst position among the 3 big FL schools. Some people would choose UM over UF because they want to be in Miami and/or the tri-county job market. I believe the top students at UM and UF are considered equally by big law in south FL (if that's your cup of tea). Another issue are the reputations of the universities as a whole. UM is on the rise, bringing in over $1 billion in the past 3 years--I believe this has and will continue to push the law school higher. UF has always had a great reputation and is the highest ranked university in the state (although maybe not for long if UM keeps its momentum). FSU on the other hand is not even ranked within the top 100 universities.

UM, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, has the best national reputation among the 3 law schools (although you'd really need to be law review at any of the 3 schools to get an out of region big law job in my opinion).

On the other hand, I believe there are really no advantages in choosing FSU over UF. Sure, many would choose FSU over UM because of the money. But I think if you asked 20 people who were admitted to both UF and FSU, 19 would pick UF. As a result, despite the U.S. News rankings, I would rate FSU as #3 in the state. 

wrmusgro

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 03:33:51 AM »
Okay, so Alec may be an ass, but when you look at FSU and UF numbers (particularly people who applied to both) most go to UF over FSU if they are accepted at both. FSU may be near UF in median LSAT and GPA, but most instaters who get into UF go there first. Uh, pretty similar to undergrad. "Half ass U" kids just didn't get into UF, and hey, there's nothing wrong with that per se.

PS- don't shoot the messenger, this is the prevailing feeling throughout the state with the exception of 60 miles radius around Tallytown.

Yeah, like you would really know. (are you a lawyer, or a law student?)

I think that it's funny that people say that it's the "prevailing feeling throughout the state" when the fact of the matter is that most people (on this board at least) have no idea how getting a job in  law school works. You get a job based on your grades in lawschool. Bottom line.

If you are in the bottom half of your class, whether at FSU or UF, you're not going to get a good job. However, if you're in the top quarter in your class at both schools, you're going to get a good job. Most employers don't care whether you go to UF or FSU.

You know why? Because most firms in Florida have partners that went to UF, and also partnera that went to FSU. That's right. Most firms(i.e. Biglaw) don't really give a crap which school you went to. There's really not any bias toward either school.

This is what is funny about this stupid a s s board. Most potential law students don't have a clue how the real legal world works...they assume that a slight variation in rankings really matters. Where in reality, the lawfirms in Florida are so intermingled with FSU and UF grads that it doesn't really matter which school anyone goes to. All that matters is that you have good grades.

So go ahead and think that which school you attend really matters. All that matters is what firms conduct OCI on your campus, and what your grades are. Because as much as you idiots would like to think that it really matters which school you go to (UF or FSU) if you don't have the grades to even get the initial interview, then you won't be getting the job.

Talk to you losers next year when you figure this all out.

Later idiots.
 :-*

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 01:57:34 PM »
So go ahead and think that which school you attend really matters. All that matters is what firms conduct OCI on your campus, and what your grades are. Because as much as you idiots would like to think that it really matters which school you go to (UF or FSU) if you don't have the grades to even get the initial interview, then you won't be getting the job.
Hey big brains, more firms hold OCI at UF than FSU.  More top firms hold OCI at UF than FSU.  According to you affirmation that "All that matters is what firms conduct OCI on your campus, and what your grades are", would mean that a student with the same gpa would be in a better position if s/he were at UF.  It's easy to draw the conclusion as to which school is better.

jpelker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »
I am a Florida resident (I went to Eckerd College in St. Petersburg) and I am interested in details of any advantages of earning summer clerkships and eventually positions after graduation with the State Capitol or other Florida government agencies coming from either UF or FSU Law Schools, respectively. Thank you in advance.

-Jason