Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting Ready for 1st Year???  (Read 1337 times)

Old Guy

• View Profile
Getting Ready for 1st Year???
« on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm already getting anxious about 1st year.  The not knowing what to expect on top of returning to school after an extended break has got me a little nervous.  I'm starting this post to find out if anybody else has the same concerns as I do.  I also want to know what you're doing to prepare for school.  I realize it's only May but time will fly by and I don't want to show up the first day of classes and be overwhelmed.  I already know that the pressure to succeed is going to be high on top of the standards that we place upon ourselves.  What is everybody else feeling out there concerning pre-one L.

I'm attending Osgoode so if anybody has any information concerning classes, books, professors, etc..etc..  Any advice would be appreciated except the don't worry about it advice....It's not in my nature.  I don't want this to be a post just about Osgoode though.  Regardless of the school we will be attending it may give us a place to share our concerns and ideas for coping....that's the intent anyway.

Old Guy

• View Profile
Re: Getting Ready for 1st Year???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
Am I the only one that's anxious???

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »
I am nervous too, but I don't think that there's anything useful we can do to prepare ourselves except enjoy our last moments of freedom.

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:58:23 PM »
I'm feeling pretty anxious as well as I heard some horror stories from my friend who's at U of T law. But I'm going to Windsor and I live in Manitoba so the whole res/off campus housing is going to be something new as well. Here's hoping my roommates will be cool.

I'm also feeling pretty excited though because it's a new phase in my life and for the past year (while finishing my degree) I felt in a big rut and I just wanted to move on. So I'm kinda glad about this.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »
I'm feeling pretty anxious as well as I heard some horror stories from my friend who's at U of T law. But I'm going to Windsor and I live in Manitoba so the whole res/off campus housing is going to be something new as well. Here's hoping my roommates will be cool.

Care to elaborate on the UofT horror stories?

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:04:17 AM »

Care to elaborate on the UofT horror stories?
Massive quantities of papers, a professor rejecting a paper because it wasn't good enough. A few 100% finals.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:09:38 AM »
Massive quantities of papers, a professor rejecting a paper because it wasn't good enough. A few 100% finals.

Ouch, that is scary, indeed.

Old Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
As odd as this is going to sound...I found a great book that has made me feel a little less anxious...The title...LAW SCHOOL FOR DUMMIES!!!!!  I couldn't believe it when I found it at Chapters but when I was leafing through it there were a number of good points so I bought it.  It goes through from start to finish and provides several tips that will really help.  It is more based on the American experience but 1st year is pretty generic and applies to Canada as well.

I was also given a copy of ONE L.  It's a good book to read but it didn't make me feel any better.  It's about a guy going through his first year at Harvard and how he made it through.

Has anybody else done any reading that could be helpful?