Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman  (Read 1315 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 12:17:55 PM »
Go Panthers!!! I just want to say that I think Chapman Law School has the most potential to make a climb in the US News Rankings. I would pick it over Cal Western, Whittier, Western State, and even Southwestern.

If you want to stay in Orange County & you don't want to practice big law, do you think the employment opportunities are decent for Chapman Law grads?

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »
I really have no idea but I think the Chapman 1L could have a better answer. I doubt it will be worst than similar ranked law schools. It is connected with an undergrad institution so automatically you have that alumni connection as well.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

shrimpgordita

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 05:46:24 PM »
wow, thank you so much Chapman1L.  Those were very helpful comments.  Couple of things if you dont mind:

How's the parking situation?
Where do most of you guys live, and how much do you pay in rent?

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »
FYI, this is from a Whittier law student from a different discussion board comparing Chapman & Whittier:

Part of it depends on what kind of law you want to practice. Chapman, I hear, has an awesome tax program.

I, too, was accepted to both. And, my best law school buddy was accepted to both. Our take, at the time, was this. Chapman is like going to Disneyland -- new & shiny & lots of glitz. Whittier was more utilitarian looking -- however, Whittier had the CCR program we wanted.

At first, we thought maybe we made the wrong decision because Chapman had an awesome bar passage rate our 1L year but that quickly dropped. However, just checking the statistics, Chapman is still ahead of Whittier.

Chapman also has the advantage of having a good alumni base with heavy endowments. Those buildings don't come cheap.

So, it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another. Look at the area of law you want to go into and which program best meets your needs. Also, look at the OCI process -- Whittier really falls short in that area except for public interest such as the DA's and PD's.

Chapman 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 07:07:44 PM »
wow, thank you so much Chapman1L.  Those were very helpful comments.  Couple of things if you dont mind:

How's the parking situation?
Where do most of you guys live, and how much do you pay in rent?

The Parking Situation? There is a structure that can accomodate about 500-600 vehicles about 70 yards from the Law School building. If you get there by 9:30 a.m, you will have no trouble. After that, it can get a little dicey, and you may have to park quite a bit further away.

However, this situation is about to change as a large new parking structure on the main campus will open sometime between the beginning and end of next school year -- not sure exactly when. Additionally, a fairly large 3-story Film School building is opening within the next few months. The law school lies more-or-less between the main campus and the new building. I think there will be plenty of parking to accomodate this building which would further free up the Law School parking lot, but I'm not 100% sure of this. If not then it would instead exacerbate the situation.

Overall,the parking situation is pretty good.

Where do law school students live?

There is no campus housing for law students. Students live all over Orange County. There are quite a few apartments and houses for rent within walking distance of the school, but of course there is a lot of competition among students -- both grad and undergrad for these convenient locations.

Prices vary widely in Orange County. It is not impossible to pay as little as $400/month for a decent room rental, or as much as $2,000 or more for a luxury apartment near the beach. Many law students, especially that plurality who are single and right out of or very recently out of undergrad, share houses, apartments or condos.

I may be able to give you more specific information that suits your situation. PM me with the relevant information about yourself if you are so inclined. This goes for anyone else who would like the same help.

ab3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:45 AM »
I am also a rising 2L at Chapman and from reading the post by the other guy, it seems we were probably in the same track.  It was a hard decision for me to go to Chapman and ever since I have never looked back.  I ended up doing quite well this school year and could probably stand a fighting chance of transferring.  I have thought about it long and hard and the truth is, you have to ask yourself what is important to you.

Driving to LA this weekend i realized that i'm happy to stay at Chapman.  Orange County is a relaxing, peaceful place to live.  Chapman is a great place to study - we're all friends.  Having studied abroad this summer and meeting a lot of students from a lot of other ABA schools, I realize how good we have it here.  For me what's important are the people around me.   We all help each other at Chapman.  We all hang out in school and all weekend we party it up.  I've made great friends in a short time and would not trade that for anything.  NO ONE at any of the other schools that I know have had nearly as much fun learning the law as me and my friends have.  The teachers are fun, knowledgeable and approachable.  The quality of life for a law student is measured for me in the friendships, the networking and lack of stress.  There are some great job opportunities out there, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The big boys may not come on campus to recruit, but they will give you an interview and you can get yourself in there.  Furthermore every single person I know that wanted a legal job got one with a judge, law firm etc. got one.  We have a 3L working with Judge Renqhuist this past semester and people at some of the biggest law firms in country this summer.

Any questions just email me!  I'd be happy to tell you anything you want.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »
I am also a rising 2L at Chapman and from reading the post by the other guy, it seems we were probably in the same track.  It was a hard decision for me to go to Chapman and ever since I have never looked back.  I ended up doing quite well this school year and could probably stand a fighting chance of transferring.  I have thought about it long and hard and the truth is, you have to ask yourself what is important to you.

Driving to LA this weekend i realized that i'm happy to stay at Chapman.  Orange County is a relaxing, peaceful place to live.  Chapman is a great place to study - we're all friends.  Having studied abroad this summer and meeting a lot of students from a lot of other ABA schools, I realize how good we have it here.  For me what's important are the people around me.   We all help each other at Chapman.  We all hang out in school and all weekend we party it up.  I've made great friends in a short time and would not trade that for anything.  NO ONE at any of the other schools that I know have had nearly as much fun learning the law as me and my friends have.  The teachers are fun, knowledgeable and approachable.  The quality of life for a law student is measured for me in the friendships, the networking and lack of stress.  There are some great job opportunities out there, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The big boys may not come on campus to recruit, but they will give you an interview and you can get yourself in there.  Furthermore every single person I know that wanted a legal job got one with a judge, law firm etc. got one.  We have a 3L working with Judge Renqhuist this past semester and people at some of the biggest law firms in country this summer.

Any questions just email me!  I'd be happy to tell you anything you want.

Thank you so much for posting this. Its great to hear all the positive things about Chapman since I will probably be going there in the fall. The thing I am most worried about is the job opportunities after graduation. I want to practice in orange county & I most likely want to do family law or employment law. I don't want to work in a big firm. I'd be happy at a small/medium size firm. Do you think I would have a hard time finding a job in family law/employment law in a small/medium size firm after graduating from Chapman?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will be emailing you with more questions as they come up. :)