Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: another non-traditional student  (Read 2324 times)

phillygirl2002

• View Profile
another non-traditional student
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »
This is my background:

I am a 27 year-old non-traditional student (no kids-thank God), and have been out of school for 4 years. I graduated from an all-women's college (with a bachelors in biology, did pre-med work). I was pre-med then, so I did research work at a medical school. After 3 years, I went off to dental school, but after a semester, I realized it wasn't what I really wanted (I know this sounds rather abrupt, but that's what happened) so I left. I am now heading towards the field of law (interested in health care, esp. women's health). I'm planning to apply this fall and looking at schools with solid health care law background, and schools in the east coast and midwest. One question is, how can I work my background to my advantage? My undergrad gpa isn't high (2.83-would they consider that i was a pre-med? and my UG was extremely competitive) and leaving dental school so early seems rather abrupt, but I am hoping that the admissions committee won't look at that in a negative light. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: another non-traditional student
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:49:36 PM »
Sorry to say, but nobody likes a quitter.  The last thing a school wants is to have a student quit on them.  No matter the reason, attrition looks bad for a school.  Your dropping out of dental school will likely to haunt you, unless you simply don't mention it.  Telling admissions that you had a change of heart AFTER getting accepted is not what they want to hear.

Good luck.
Bruin once again.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:15:50 PM »
Rock the LSAT, and you'll be okay.  Otherwise... you'll need to work for a few more years to put all that stuff well in your past.
Emory '09

LSN

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:33:28 PM »
Make the fact that you droped out of dental school work in your favor, tell them in the PS that something that happend in dental school prompted an epiphany and you realized that you really wanted to go to law school.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Billy Pilgrim

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 03:06:09 PM »
Make the fact that you droped out of dental school work in your favor, tell them in the PS that something that happend in dental school prompted an epiphany and you realized that you really wanted to go to law school.

Agreed.  And rock the LSAT.

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »
Ditto on the LSAT.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a W O L V E R I N E

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Your background is somewhat similar to mine, and my low gpa in a pre-med (biology & bioanthropology) field didn't prevent me from getting into some good schools...but I rocked the lsat.  Most of the people on this thread were in some kind of a similar pickle, and pulled through by kicking the lsat's butt.  We sound like a chorus of drones, but it's our mantra for a reason!  Good luck!  :)
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 07:52:18 PM »

No, getting sued is NOT a good reason to drop out of dental school and think Law School.
Bruin once again.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:15 AM »

No, getting sued is NOT a good reason to drop out of dental school and think Law School.

Who said anything about getting sued?
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?