Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I stealing?  (Read 6447 times)

Derecho_Girl

• Most wanted
    • View Profile
    • Email
Am I stealing?
« on: August 12, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »
Hi I have a technical question. I found out my neighbor has a wireless network that I can tap into. My problem is that I get access only when I place my laptop on top of my radiator. It's the only way I can get a connection. My question is.. is there a device I can use to make the connection stronger so I can put my laptop on my desk?

buster

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 09:29:06 AM »
Depending on the type of network (802.11g, but not 802.11b, as far as I know) there are such devices. They may require authentication with the wireless access point in a way that your laptop does not, though. (I have no idea whether or not they do.)

Hi I have a technical question. I found out my neighbor has a wireless network that I can tap into. My problem is that I get access only when I place my laptop on top of my radiator. It's the only way I can get a connection. My question is.. is there a device I can use to make the connection stronger so I can put my laptop on my desk?

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 09:52:20 AM »
BTW, yes, its stealing.  We installed wireless in our house here, and we've done everything imaginable to make sure the neighbors and random people don't use it.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 10:00:38 AM »
BTW, yes, its stealing.  We installed wireless in our house here, and we've done everything imaginable to make sure the neighbors and random people don't use it.

that's fine and well, but people who don't bother securing their network are just asking for it.

some of these people don't even change the default administrator login and password to the router setup utility. i had a neighbor that was this clueless, and i could have logged onto his system, accessed his network setup, and installed my OWN security so that I could use his router and he couldn't. granted, this is illegal, but no one would have found out, since a call to Dlink tech support would have the guy flush the router to reset it, thereby eradicating all evidence.

one of my friends was telling me about his neighbor, who he hated, and who called the police on him for no reason one day. so he logged onto this guy's home wireless network and screwed all of his stuff. e-revenge

Derecho_Girl

• Most wanted
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 10:05:59 AM »
What is this device called?

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:07:25 AM »
Whether they ask for it or not, it's stealing.

Just the same way it would be stealing if someone -- and I see this all the time -- leaves their car running while they go in the convenience store and then someone drives away with their car.

that's fine and well, but people who don't bother securing their network are just asking for it.

some of these people don't even change the default administrator login and password to the router setup utility. i had a neighbor that was this clueless, and i could have logged onto his system, accessed his network setup, and installed my OWN security so that I could use his router and he couldn't. granted, this is illegal, but no one would have found out, since a call to Dlink tech support would have the guy flush the router to reset it, thereby eradicating all evidence.

one of my friends was telling me about his neighbor, who he hated, and who called the police on him for no reason one day. so he logged onto this guy's home wireless network and screwed all of his stuff. e-revenge

buster

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:08:38 AM »
Stop driving away with their car if it bothers you so much.  :P

Just the same way it would be stealing if someone -- and I see this all the time -- leaves their car running while they go in the convenience store and then someone drives away with their car.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 10:09:55 AM »
It doesn't bother me, but I am starting to run out of storage space.

Stop driving away with their car if it bothers you so much.  :P

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 10:10:19 AM »
if people dont set up WEP on their wireless routers, its free reign.  

theyre the idiots for not setting up security.  
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ginatio

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 10:10:35 AM »
oh, i never said it wasn't stealing. it's stealing, alright. but people that lack common sense will be taken advantage of.

It'd be like a white guy walking through west philadelphia at 1am wearing gold chains and holding a money clip full of $100s...