Law School Discussion

Am I stealing?

DouperLou

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2004, 07:03:53 PM »
It is my understanding that if you use an open wireless connection (i.e. no encryption) then you are completely legal.

Most wireless routers have WEP encryption, which is actually not airtight security and can be hacked. Once you hack in then you are breaking the law, there is no doubt about that. You can just take a look at the DHCP leases which have been allotted by the router to see who is hacking in, and enable logging to see where they have been. You can disable DHCP and assign static ip's to specific mac addresses (network cards) and you are safer still. THere are ways to secure your machines even further if your still concerned, so if they get into your network they will have a tough time touching shared drives, etc.

There is an advanced encryption called WPA which is supposed to next to impossible to break, and that is what i have to secure my network since i host domains over my DSL which require all my bandwidth (and i have drives wide open on my intranet).

Another interesting thing is a LinkSys wireless router which allows you to set up an account with Boingo. They clear credit cards for people who want to use your network (just like T-Mobile at Starbucks and at airports) and send you a check for the charges they collect (minus their commission, of course). Its all built into the router, farming out leases to your network for people who have paid (i.e. they can use if for 24 hours or whatever), so you can turn your dsl/modem connection into a revenue source! Here is a link if your interested:

http://www.linksys.com/splash/hotspotinabox_splash.asp

The router is $175 at Fry's.

note: all this is just opinion and not legal advice. can't charge till i finish law school... ;)

-lou

Ginatio

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
interesting... now a question becomes... what if i setup that boingo thing in my dorm room, have it tied into the university network, and collect the payments for myself?

DouperLou

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »
LOL! Great idea!

again, i can't give out legal advice ... ;)

-lou

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2004, 07:11:56 PM »
interesting... now a question becomes... what if i setup that boingo thing in my dorm room, have it tied into the university network, and collect the payments for myself?

Sure, but you must have a brain dead network administrator at your school.  It wouldn't take long for them to figure out what you're up to.  And I'm sure it would violate your school's AUP (acceptable usage policy).  You will then have ur network priveliges taken away, just like what other colleges are doing to those who suck up bandwidth.

lexylit

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2004, 07:14:01 PM »
(i think he was being facetious)

(maybe his emoticons are broken like mine)

Ginatio

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2004, 07:22:46 PM »
(i think he was being facetious)

(maybe his emoticons are broken like mine)

:-*

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2004, 09:01:44 PM »
Whether they ask for it or not, it's stealing.

Just the same way it would be stealing if someone -- and I see this all the time -- leaves their car running while they go in the convenience store and then someone drives away with their car.

BTW, yes, its stealing.  We installed wireless in our house here, and we've done everything imaginable to make sure the neighbors and random people don't use it.

that's fine and well, but people who don't bother securing their network are just asking for it.

some of these people don't even change the default administrator login and password to the router setup utility. i had a neighbor that was this clueless, and i could have logged onto his system, accessed his network setup, and installed my OWN security so that I could use his router and he couldn't. granted, this is illegal, but no one would have found out, since a call to Dlink tech support would have the guy flush the router to reset it, thereby eradicating all evidence.

one of my friends was telling me about his neighbor, who he hated, and who called the police on him for no reason one day. so he logged onto this guy's home wireless network and screwed all of his stuff. e-revenge

I've done that.  Not steal, but left my car ruuning and it was stolen.  I am seriously wondering about my intelligence level now that you reminded me how stupid I can be.  ;)

jgruber

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2004, 09:06:52 PM »
It's a common practice in this area.  I don't get it.  They don't give away gas.  Sure car theft is not as prevalent, but why leave it running?  It's not to keep the car warm, cuz they do it in the summer, too, with the windows open and no a/c going.  I don't get it.

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2004, 09:37:15 PM »
It's a common practice in this area.  I don't get it.  They don't give away gas.  Sure car theft is not as prevalent, but why leave it running?  It's not to keep the car warm, cuz they do it in the summer, too, with the windows open and no a/c going.  I don't get it.

In my case, the key was stuck in the ignition, figured it was going to get stolen eventually, plus, I was just at a mini-mart, ran in to grab a quick pack of smokes...30 seconds later, no more car.  Still stupid.

lawguy

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2004, 02:03:43 AM »
I don't know whether it's stealing or not.  However...

There's something called wardriving where you basically drive around town with a laptop and try and pick up open wifi networks.  Heck, just buy soemthing like this and you can do it without your laptop!

http://www.intego.com/wiFiLocator

I'd imagine though that if you drove around town, tried to find an open wireless network, and were successful, i.e., you were able to get into a company's network... Well, I'd bet that they'd consider you a hacker (cracker) and try to nail you on that.  So I don't know if it'd be "stealing," but my hunch is that it'd be illegal in other ways - breaking in or whatever, even if all you did was to browse their network and nothing else.  (Although maybe it's different if it's your neighbor instead of a company.)