Law School Discussion

Am I stealing?

Ginatio

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2004, 05:05:37 PM »
i keep everything secured... all the time. i'm pretty paranoid ...

stop looking at me!  >:(

that's fine and well, but people who don't bother securing their network are just asking for it.

This kinda sounds like a milder form of the "slutty girls who walk alone at night are just asking to get raped" philosophy.  Just people people are stupid, that doesn't mean you can take advantage of them.  I'm sure you don't secure all of your belongings all of the time.

Ginatio

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2004, 05:09:06 PM »
How 'bout if you bake your neighbor a pie with the apples? Have you destroyed your neighbor's property? Committed theft?

Yes.  Especially if the neighbor is diabetic.  ;)

skittles, did i tell you i had a dream a month ago where I was attacked by your parakeet?

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2004, 05:09:48 PM »
DO you realize how much time, money are resources are spent on people trying to protect themselves from theft?  The threat of theft itself, in a way, steals from people.  Suppose my neighbor steals and I have to build a fence to protect my stuff.  And say that fence cost me $200.  In a way, the neighbor has cost me $200 without ever actually stealing from me.  Therefore the willingness and readiness of people to steal is wrong by itself.

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2004, 05:10:50 PM »
How 'bout if you bake your neighbor a pie with the apples? Have you destroyed your neighbor's property? Committed theft?

Yes.  Especially if the neighbor is diabetic.  ;)

skittles, did i tell you i had a dream a month ago where I was attacked by your parakeet?

ROFL!!  No! THat's hilarious.  But it's not a parakeet... it's a much more threatening bird... a green cheeked conure!!

lexylit

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2004, 05:14:29 PM »
Therefore the willingness and readiness of people to steal is wrong by itself.

eh, im with m2. i still don't see what the big deal about sharing is-- i paid for it, why shouldnt others besides me benefit? why be selfish?

ok, bracing myself for an elaborate explanation of how other people getting on my network can f*ck with me...

ruskiegirl

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2004, 05:15:11 PM »
I am a proud wireless internet thief.  I stole internet from my neighbors all of my senior year in college. ;D  

What can I say?  I'm a communist, I believe in sharing.

lexylit

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2004, 05:16:05 PM »
but can i also just add that the population who is computer-ly challenged is not inherently stupid  :-[

give us the benefit of the doubt; we might have other talents that don't involve knowing how to steal *&^% with a pringles can

Ginatio

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2004, 05:22:07 PM »
but can i also just add that the population who is computer-ly challenged is not inherently stupid  :-[

give us the benefit of the doubt; we might have other talents that don't involve knowing how to steal *&^% with a pringles can

really? but there's SOOOOOOO much to be had with just a pringles can...

lexylit

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2004, 05:23:06 PM »
teach me oh wise one

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »
I am a proud wireless internet thief.  I stole internet from my neighbors all of my senior year in college. ;D  

What can I say?  I'm a communist, I believe in sharing.

Ok... so then it would be ok if your neighbors took money from your wallet while you weren't looking in the spirit of "sharing" the cost of the internet service, right?

Sharing is only sharing if the other person is aware of it and has agreed to it.  I'm sure that if your buddies came into your room and decided to "share" all your stuff without sharing anything with you in return, you'd be pretty pissed.