Law School Discussion

Am I stealing?

hoops

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 10:53:18 AM »
Yes it is. If the neighbor closes the shades, he will have more light- since it reflects. I'm really going to enjoy law school.

jgruber

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2004, 11:05:54 AM »
Yes it is. If the neighbor closes the shades, he will have more light- since it reflects. I'm really going to enjoy law school.

what if there is no shade?  what if there are no window treatments at all?

what if the shade is black?

regardless, it would be the owner's choice and you would not be in a position to interfere with their use and enjoyment of the light.

so it's not the same.

hoops

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2004, 11:12:11 AM »

regardless, it would be the owner's choice and you would not be in a position to interfere with their use and enjoyment of the light.

so it's not the same.

Maybe I won't enjoy law school. Window treatments = WAP and other security features. The shade being black would be a security feature.

But I will give you this- If they are taking a lot of bandwith- that is wrong. Casual surfing of the internet on a 1.5 or 3 m pipe is not going to have any effect on the other dude. Even surfing all day. My point is this- if he is taking up a lot of the bandwith w/o the neighbor's ok, than that is wrong. Otherwise- surf away!!!!

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2004, 11:15:11 AM »

so it's not the same.

ugh...window treatments.  i hate those two words together.  my wife is looking for 'window treatments'.  cant call them shades, blinds, or curtains...gotta call them window treatments. 

hoops

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2004, 11:25:43 AM »
If all else fails use a yagi. Google "Yagi". You can make it out of a box of pringles. If someone does this, I would think you would be stealing service.

buddha

• View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
I would argue courts would view a wireless network's signal much as they do a neighbor's fruit tree.  Even if the limbs grow over your property in most jurisdictions you don't have a right to the fruit.

hoops

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »
I would argue courts would view a wireless network's signal much as they do a neighbor's fruit tree.  Even if the limbs grow over your property in most jurisdictions you don't have a right to the fruit.

Can you cut down the branches?

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2004, 12:45:35 PM »

does that mean if someone accidentally throws money from his window to mine, i cant claim it as mine since its on my property?

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2004, 12:56:56 PM »
any Canadians out there familiar with warchalking?  That *&^% is kinda cool

C.

buddha

• View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2004, 01:04:42 PM »
Can you cut down the branches?

Only if it obstructs the free use of or enjoyment of your property.  In some jurisdictions if it offensive to the senses.

does that mean if someone accidentally throws money from his window to mine, i cant claim it as mine since its on my property?

The difference is that in the case of the tree and the 8021 network it is only by happenstance that the product intrudes into your property.  One can assume that if a neighbor throws money into your yard he means for you to have it.  You cannont assume that if a neighbor plants an apple tree that he intends for you to partake of its fruit.