Law School Discussion

Am I stealing?

buster

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2004, 08:49:37 AM »
Not only does it do it automatically, periodically it decides that it should once again do it automatically even though I have repeatedly told it not to. (Network Connections...Wireless Connection...Wireless Networks...Advanced...uncheck Automatically Connect to Non-Preferred Networks) I just had to do it again today.

jgruber

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2004, 08:53:41 AM »
I have XP Pro and it requires me to take action to connect.

And this is not like listening to your neighbors radio.  Listening to the signal requires no action on your part and does not detract in the least from your neighbors use and enjoyment.

If you use their wireless network, you might easily interfere with their use and enjoyment. 
If you do so even in the least way, it's stealing or trespassing depending on how you look at it.

Now if you have the wireless network and don't mind others using it, that is a different story.

Ginatio

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2004, 08:56:00 AM »

that's probably because it knows better...

buster

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2004, 08:57:48 AM »

Not the case for me, unless by "action" you mean installing a wireless receiver. (Which, by the way, is built-in to my laptop, so in that case it took no action other than me turning on my laptop.)

If you use their wireless network, you might easily interfere with their use and enjoyment. 

How might one do so easily?

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2004, 09:00:04 AM »
XP requires an action.  you have to set you ssid in order to access any network...the reason why a lot of them work without any action is because linksys and netgear routers usually use the default of 'linksys' or 'default' as the ssid.  

though i dont consider it stealing, i do set up a 128bit encrypted wep on mine because i dont want others sucking out my bandwidth.  i also have a signal amplifier and a bridge in my condo, so i can get it all the way where my pool is...and that means most of the apartments will be able to get to it.  

thinknpositive

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2004, 09:00:27 AM »
How might one do so easily?

by using up bandwith

M2

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2004, 09:01:34 AM »
Maybe the neighbor left it open because he wants others to use it?
But seriously if this guy didn't want you to use it he could just enable WEP...its simple.
Or he could just hide the SSID

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2004, 09:02:16 AM »
But seriously if this guy didn't want you to use it he could just enable WEP...its simple.

most people who set up routers think its just plug and play.  they dont know what wep, ssid, or changing it really means.

thinknpositive

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 09:02:28 AM »

the average wifi user has no idea how to enable WEP

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 09:02:56 AM »

the average wifi user has no idea how to enable WEP

too slow, partner :)