Law School Discussion

Am I stealing?

buster

Re: Am I stealing?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 08:12:27 AM »
It'd be like a white guy walking through west philadelphia at 1am wearing gold chains and holding a money clip full of $100s...

Now you know how to find me when it's time for you to buy me lunch.

Ginatio

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 08:13:51 AM »
It'd be like a white guy walking through west philadelphia at 1am wearing gold chains and holding a money clip full of $100s...

will you be wearing your feathered boa and holding your pimping cane?

buster

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 08:16:16 AM »
Pfft. Do I own anything else?

will you be wearing your feathered boa and holding your pimping cane?

Ginatio

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 08:20:45 AM »

buster

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 08:21:35 AM »
uh...

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 08:21:47 AM »
To consider this stealing would be debatable.  Since the wifi signals are being beamed into your private residence, you have free access to it.  On the other hand, if it was WAP/WEP enabled and you went ahead and cracked the encryption, then it wuld be considered stealing, since you're breaking and entering their wifi signals.  

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 08:23:49 AM »
Dude, what kind of wi-fi adapter do you have?  Create a cantena, and extend the range of your wi-fi signal.  The longest range recorded so far is about 55 miles. 

I'm trying to modify my stupid netgear wifi adapter so I can tap into someone else's wifi. 

buster

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 08:24:39 AM »
To consider this stealing would be debatable.  Since the wifi signals are being beamed into your private residence, you have free access to it.

Good point, sparky. If I can hear my neighbor's radio, I obviously haven't stolen that.

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 08:32:45 AM »
Whether they ask for it or not, it's stealing.

Just the same way it would be stealing if someone -- and I see this all the time -- leaves their car running while they go in the convenience store and then someone drives away with their car.

You see that all the time??

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 08:36:16 AM »
Except that you acted to receive the signal.  It is not as if you were forced to use the signal.  It required some action on your part to use the signal.

To consider this stealing would be debatable.  Since the wifi signals are being beamed into your private residence, you have free access to it.  On the other hand, if it was WAP/WEP enabled and you went ahead and cracked the encryption, then it wuld be considered stealing, since you're breaking and entering their wifi signals.