Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ga State's fall and Mercer's rise  (Read 3563 times)

gt_ee

• View Profile
Ga State's fall and Mercer's rise
« on: May 28, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
Per the new rankings, Ga State has dropped 8 spots to 97, while Mercer has jumped 12 spots to 87.  It appears the tables have turned very late.  Could be a game time decision. 

I don't think that a ranking difference of 10 really matters too much?
Attending: GA State
Accepted: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU, Tennesse
Denied: GMU, UGA, Alabama

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: Ga State's fall and Mercer's rise
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:34:17 PM »
I don't think it's (the change in rankings) meaningful in any real way, but I loved Mercer when I visited there.
Emory '09

LSN

wrmusgro

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:52:35 AM »
Per the new rankings, Ga State has dropped 8 spots to 97, while Mercer has jumped 12 spots to 87.  It appears the tables have turned very late.  Could be a game time decision. 

I don't think that a ranking difference of 10 really matters too much?

I don't think its that big of a deal either. However, even though GA. State has the higher median LSAT and GPA scores, it makes sense to me that Mercer is finally ranked higher. Mercer's law school has been around for almost as long as UGA's, yet GA. State has only been around for only 25 years or so and it was ranked ahead of Mercer. Because of this I thought it was a little silly that Mercer was behind GA. State. (I'm sure being in Atlanta had something to do with GSU being ranked higher)

Also, GA. State's academics as a whole is somewhat of a joke. (who would really want to go there to start with?) Mercer on the other-hand has a solid rep as a university. (and they have a Medical School) Pluse, Mercer's campus is so much better than GA. State's non-existant "urban campus".

In the end, I'm glad to see that Mercer is ahead of GSU. (and not becauase GSU rejected me either)  ;)

yellowdaisy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:16:52 AM »
Why would anyone pay an extra $19,000 or more per year for an education in a school only ten ranking points different? Mercer is a quirky school. I may one of the few people who actually likes Macon and I live not far from there but even considering the drive and the current price of gas, there's no way I would pay the difference. Plus their curriculum is so odd I think it would be impossible to transfer. I think their legal writing program is strong and they have some credible graduates in politics in Georgia. Besides if their school has been around for so many years, why have they just now risen in the rankings and how does one explain Georgia State's rapid rise (except maybe location, location, location). Georgia State is the only logical choice to me. Besides Mercer's medical school is a joke, but that's beside the point.

gt_ee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
I sent in my 2nd deposit to Mercer this morning to keep the option in place.  Would it be unconventional to contact the Dean at GSU to get an official response regarding their recent drop in rankings?  It might be attributed to something as simple as a very high profile professor leaving. 

Although I was unimpressed with their "campus" and the personnel they have running things, location and price are attractive.  I'm sure Mercer is represented well, but is it worth all the money?  It would be nice to graduate with a minimal amount of debt.. But the rankings situation is disturbing. 
Attending: GA State
Accepted: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU, Tennesse
Denied: GMU, UGA, Alabama

yellowdaisy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
I'm not sure I would believe any response by a school official to a question like that. I don't think they would deliberately lie but I'm sure they would present their school in the best possible light. I don't know of any professors leaving. My best guess is it may be the high attrition rate for GSU 1Ls, the recognition Mercer got for their writing program or the current slate of Mercer grads in State politics. Dean Kaminshine seems like a really nice guy but I don't know how receptive in general Deans are to questions like this from applicants.

I don't know you at all and my contact has been limited to just reading a few postings but you seem to have some serious reservations about GSU. I felt the same way about UGA when I visited there. If something is telling you "no", even if it is undefinable, I think you probably should not go there. Good luck whatever your choice and if I can be of any assistance in your relocating to the Macon area, I'd be glad to help.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:41 PM »
Butting in: What do employers think of the two schools? Despite GSU's slide in the rankings this year, they are located in a strong market.
Vanderbilt 2010

jiggedyjared

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »
GSU does better in employment opps and is cheaper.  Mercer's average salary coming out is like 55K.  Check their site.  It's straight from there, and it's way more expensive.  Is there any real choice?  Withdraw from Mercer. 

Splitfinger's Wifey

• Purple unicorns make my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »
On general, it depends on where you want to practice.  In ATL, then Ga State may be better.  Outside ATL, then you're better at Mercer.  There's this notion of the 'Mercer Mafia' that holds very true in practicing.  Mercer alumni stick together and protect one another.  Ask Kathy Cox about that advantage.  Or, ask Nancy Grace how much being a Mercer grad held her back. 

The salary differential has as much to do with where alumni practice as anything.  Also, Mercer has gobs of money available for scholarships.  If you say "Well, I love Mercer, but I just can't justify going there with the tuition being so much more than Georgia State....", they may just listen (or they may say, yeah, I hear you).  Depends on where you rank within their admitted class as to what they'll do to keep you in that class. 
Law School:  Been there, done that, have many t-shirts and mugs.  Don't practice. 
For some reason my husband doesn't believe me when I say "RUN AWAY!"

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
Thanks-- I've looked at both sites and both look like solid programs. I can see pros and cons to attend either; ultimately it comes down to what you're looking for and where you see yourself living for 3 years and practicing once you graduate and pass the bar exam!

I don't live in GA; it appears that out-of-state students can't peition for GA residency while enrolled, so if I were to be accepted to a GA public school, I'd be paying out-of-state tuition; the equivalent of a private school's tuition. In terms of price, I'm comparing apples to apples.

It does seem GA State is primarily in the ATL market; a very solid market!!! It appears from reading the above that Mercer places not so well in ATL, but throughout the rest of the state?

Do Mercer or GA State place into any other states? Would Mercer grads have opportunities in Florida? Could a GSU JD leave ATL upon graduation or do you think they are locked into the ATL market for a time?

Thanks again. I hope to have an opportunity to visit both schools this fall and ask these questions in person, but it never hurts to get a general feel for perception outside the school, especially to those who live in-state.

Thanks in advance for your perspective.
Vanderbilt 2010