Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High Test Scorers (165/170+) - Natural Ability or Hard Work  (Read 6318 times)

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High Test Scorers (165/170+) - Natural Ability or Hard Work
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2004, 01:22:15 PM »
Mukhia -- where are you from?
3.8/155

mukhia

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
Nepal!  Thanks for asking Mr. Greenspan.  I loved Maestro.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »
Sorry, unclear question... I meant in reference to covering the midwest chapter of the t-shirt club.
3.8/155

Ginatio

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2004, 01:27:26 PM »
and don't forget to take photos for the law gallery

maybe some of us should band together in regional areas and start doing this... strength in numbers, we can roll in as a crew with LSAT scores in the mid-high 170s posted on our shirts, getting rowdy and causing a general disruption.

maybe some of us should band together in regional areas and start doing this... strength in numbers, we can roll in as a crew with LSAT scores in the mid-high 170s posted on our shirts, getting rowdy and causing a general disruption.

I've got the midwest covered...

DC metro- whos with me? We can hit the VA schools like W&L, UVA, W&M

nathanielmark

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »
definitely.

and don't forget to take photos for the law gallery

I've got the midwest covered...

DC metro- whos with me? We can hit the VA schools like W&L, UVA, W&M

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »
here's my theory: your brain is trained from birth to think in certain ways. based in large part on your interests, your family, your teachers, etc. Some people learn some skills easily, in large part because those skills interest them.

When it comes to taking LSATs...a certain way of thinking, certain skills...will increase your score. If you are one of those people who have been developing your logical and analytical skills all your life, you can get a high score with little effort.

If you are one of those people whose mind works in a different direction...it would require a great deal of effort to retrain your brain to think in the way required for the LSAT. But it's still possible.

The key is to be able to make sure you're studying in a way that will affect those abilities. I think too many people just keep taking practice tests, when they'd be better off studying logic, doing brain teaser puzzles, increasing their vocabulary, whatever skill it is that relates the section with which they are having a difficult time.

If you doubt your ability to improve, consider how many people retrain their brains on a daily basis as a result of brain injuries. Considering the drastic improvements that can be made, a slight improvement in logic and analytical thinking should be possible.

nathanielmark

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2004, 01:44:24 PM »
i agree, except these are really skills that can be changed only over a longer period of time..  unless you have a ton of time on your hands.. i read quite a bit in the months prior to LSAT and it didnt really help my RC speed much.

here's my theory: your brain is trained from birth to think in certain ways. based in large part on your interests, your family, your teachers, etc. Some people learn some skills easily, in large part because those skills interest them.

When it comes to taking LSATs...a certain way of thinking, certain skills...will increase your score. If you are one of those people who have been developing your logical and analytical skills all your life, you can get a high score with little effort.

If you are one of those people whose mind works in a different direction...it would require a great deal of effort to retrain your brain to think in the way required for the LSAT. But it's still possible.

The key is to be able to make sure you're studying in a way that will affect those abilities. I think too many people just keep taking practice tests, when they'd be better off studying logic, doing brain teaser puzzles, increasing their vocabulary, whatever skill it is that relates the section with which they are having a difficult time.

If you doubt your ability to improve, consider how many people retrain their brains on a daily basis as a result of brain injuries. Considering the drastic improvements that can be made, a slight improvement in logic and analytical thinking should be possible.

BAFF213

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2004, 02:00:47 PM »
haha that would be awesome

i was joking about the t-shirt... that would be pretty toolish...  it would be funny to put a really high one on a shirt though and show up at info sessions for schools you wont apply to asking a lot of questions and just being a general ass. 

People like this intentionally provide answers that include that look-at-me-im-smart *&^%. ::)

isnt that the purpose of this whole thread? ;D

i got a 690 on the SAT verbal... look-at-me-im-dumb-*&^%!

I got the exact same score on SAT math but full on verbal - so am I dumb and smart? 

LOL!

I'm impressed with the 800 in 7th grade guy - there are a lot of msart people on this board.  So what?

Greeneqs - love the t-shirt idea, it's hilarious.  Put up a picture of people's reactions!

mukhia

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2004, 03:08:56 PM »
Sorry, unclear question... I meant in reference to covering the midwest chapter of the t-shirt club.

I thought it was odd that you asked.  I currently reside in Wisconsin - so I'll annoy every school except NW because I actually want to apply there.

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2004, 03:12:07 PM »
It's natural ability more than hard work, to a certain extent. You can definitely maximize your natural ability through hard work, but you can't work your butt off and do extremely well unless you are bright as well. However, I don't think hard work is just what you do preparing for the LSAT. I think that your academic career in many ways prepares you for some portions of the LSAT (assuming you've had good professors).