Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mature student vs. law school  (Read 1510 times)

cakerBYnature

• View Profile
Mature student vs. law school
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:36:28 AM »
I hear you can apply for law school at 26 as a mature student without an undergrad. All I have is college under my belt and I'm not trying to do an additional 3 years and then some if I don't have to. Does anyone know which schools in Canada or the US accept mature students? Does my college GPA even matter? I'm guessing U of T law is out? :-[

Old Guy

• View Profile
Re: Mature student vs. law school
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »
I know that the schools in Ontarion all have a mature student category.  The generic mature student process is you must be out of school for 5 years with age stipulations that vary depending on your situation.  For you, it would be 26 with less than 2 years of University.  It's pretty similar at most of the schools I've checked into.  You write the LSAT and then fill out the application through OLSAS. 

You will be required to fill out a personal statement and a special category statement.  Some of the schools require specific questions to be answered.  You are only allowed 2000 words in each of the statements.  It sounds like more than enough space to get your point across but trust me it isn't.  I don't know how many times I wrote them in order to get the information I wanted the admissions committee to be aware of.

Once all that is done you wait....Some of the schools require an interview for mature students such as Osgoode but others don't and take what is presented to them at face value.

My advice is this and take for what it is...I suggest you start taking a few university level courses to show the admission committees that you are serious and can work at a university level. That is not to say college isn't difficult.  It's just different and it is weighted differently compared to university.  If work is a problem then try the University of Waterloo.  They have a great distance ed program with a large number of courses available.  Go and buy an LSAT test book because you will need to have a good mark to be considered.  People try to knock the mature student category because a lesser score is needed for consideration but I tend not to leave anything to chance.  Give yourself a good deal of time for filling out the application and really evaluate why you want to attend law school.  I say this because if you apply to a school that has an interview process then you will be questioned on your motives for attending the school and why you are pursuing a law degree. 

If I hadn't have taken the time and made sure why I'm doing this I believe I never would have been accepted.  I start in 2006 as a mature student.  Hope this helped you out and good luck!