42 (17.7%)
 34 (14.3%)
Age is not a consideration ever
 144 (60.8%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Author Topic: ?  (Read 7246 times)

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
Re: How old is too old to begin law school?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »
Average age of 1L's is 27 years old, which I just happen to be at the moment... As for how old is too old? Well, my mother started at age 43, got her JD at 48 and her LLM at 50, so it can be done...
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
Average age of 1L's is 27 years old, which I just happen to be at the moment... As for how old is too old? Well, my mother started at age 43, got her JD at 48 and her LLM at 50, so it can be done...
Revel, has you mother had any trouble with age discrimination?
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 12:16:39 AM »
Revel, has you mother had any trouble with age discrimination?

She has gotten more attitude from younger students who underestimated her than from instructors and such... One "snot-nosed kid" as she called him gave her a real attitude until she got a 96% on a final and he a 58%. He came begging to be tutored the following semester (please, no Mrs. Robinson jokes)... :P
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »

personally the main things i would be wary about beyond simply 'fitting in' in law school would be how i would take being at a firm and having peers who were superior to me.  I'd see it as a difficult work situation if i had superiors who were 5-10 years younger than me at the firm with significantly less real world experience - but perhaps my views will change over the next decade.

This is really weak.  Why would you care about the age of your "superiors".  If you've got a hang-up with that, I'd say it is going to be a problem for you at some point, regardless of your age when you enter law school.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 09:13:06 AM »

personally the main things i would be wary about beyond simply 'fitting in' in law school would be how i would take being at a firm and having peers who were superior to me.  I'd see it as a difficult work situation if i had superiors who were 5-10 years younger than me at the firm with significantly less real world experience - but perhaps my views will change over the next decade.

This is really weak.  Why would you care about the age of your "superiors".  If you've got a hang-up with that, I'd say it is going to be a problem for you at some point, regardless of your age when you enter law school.

i totally agree....this happens all the time regardless of the field...you can't let it bother you.
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 09:17:56 AM »
The converse can be true, as well.  I've worked in labor relations through most of my 20s, and let me tell you -- it can be a daunting thing to ask someone twenty or thirty years your superior to trust you with their livelihood.  I have a very young face, and I've often had a difficult time being taken seriously, both by the people I represent as well as the employers we sit across from at the table.  It can work to my advantage, but it gets old.  I kind of welcome the idea of being slightly older when I remerge as an attorney for this precise reason.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

cyberrev

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 10:21:56 AM »

the military has worked this way for years.  young lt, old sgt.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
My $.02:

The age curve is changing as people are living longer, working into later age, getting married later, etc.

I read one article recommending that people take time off in their 20s and explore, given that our generation can (and often will) work later in life than any other. May as well enjoy the world when you are young enough to climb all those mountains, etc.

I'm turning 30 three days before my first class and one thing I agree with is that 3 years doesn't seem that long anymore -- time flies by as we get older! Big mental advantage.

Splitfinger's Wifey

• Purple unicorns make my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
A note... I lurk here because my husband (Splitfinger) tipped me off to this joint.  As I am now a lame duck in my work, I play.  On this topic I speak from experience.  I graduated from SMU Law in 1998.  I began law school at the ripe old age of 24. 

My experience during law school was that the mature students often did much better, at least from a quality of life perspective.  Now, there were two categories of 'older' students.  The first were those who ran around and talked about how they were 'so old.'  Case in point - one girl in my 1L section was obnoxious this way.  "Oh, I'm so old!  You guys weren't in college until the 90's!"  She was exactly (within a few days) of my age, and we graduated in the same years.  She just harped on how 'old' she was.  I'd say anyone under 27 or 28 will fall into this category of 'old' - maybe they graduated a few years before the average student, but not more than 3 years or so.  Not enough to put them into a different 'generation'. 

Then there were the truly 'mature' students, most of whom were over 29.  Many of them were married, had families and lives outside the school.  Those that I knew were committed students, who were working their butts off to get a good job after graduation.  These students were at least 5 years older than the rest of the student body, and they really did have some gaps in knowledge about current trends and things like that.  In addition, they were less likely to be found closing down the happy hours.  They generally came by, if RL conflicts didn't prevent, but they went home to have supper with their families. 

And, on the whole, they were significantly more balanced.  Law School was just a means to an end, and they knew that they had to get through the process to get to the end they desired.  In addition, they were much, MUCH more efficient at getting things done.  Many had worked before returning, and they understood how to effectively multitask and also how prioritize.  They didn't freak over their lack of the perfect outline, because they'd already made one that would work for them.  I knew one woman who turned down Law Review because she didn't have time.  She graduated with a doily on her hat, and she works for one of the better firms in Dallas today.  I knew another woman who came back after having spent the previous 6 or 7 years staying at home.  She kicked serious booty, clerked, then went to work for a well-respected firm in another city. 

I wish, WISH, that I had the experiences I carry with me now BEFORE going to law school.  It would have allowed me to be a much better student (actually, it would have allowed me to say HELL NO!), and enjoyed the experience a whole lot more.  The degree is good and useful, but the career isn't what I wanted.  I'm happy with what I do, and I fall back on some of the skills lawyer college taught me.  I put this in here to say that with the true mature students, you're going to be dealing with people who really want to be there, and who are making real sacrifices to be there, and whose families are most likely making sacrifices for them to be there.  These people will know, quickly, what needs to be done to get it done.  Those of you who have opted to wait have, in my opinion, made a wise decision, and one that will likely yield financial benefits to you in the future. 

I have friends at great firms in Atlanta, Dallas and elsewhere - to a one, they have been very positive about my husband's decision to go back to school.  Tongue in cheek, they say he's crazy, but at the end, they mention how their firm's 'hiring strategy' is focusing more on well-rounded individuals than anything.  And they expect to see that trend continue.  Am I saying that Cravath is going to abandon its image of hiring beautiful people at the tops of their classes at the T14?  Nope - but many firms (like Troutman, Sanders or King & Spaulding in ATL - I've spoken to their recruiters) will be more inclined to choose the mature candidate over the young stud, all things being equal. 

So... the age is what it is - to try and tell someone else they're 'too old' for law school is utter bull$h!t.  To decide that you're going to go, or not go, based upon your age is, as well. The older folk will deal with some little punks who don't want to invite them to their keggers.  And the majority of them won't care. 
Law School:  Been there, done that, have many t-shirts and mugs.  Don't practice. 
For some reason my husband doesn't believe me when I say "RUN AWAY!"

stc34

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »
Splitfinger's Wifey,
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful.  Did you practice law for a while and not enjoy it?