• Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
    • View Profile
?
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: How old is too old to begin law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
Bumping poll with a question: What IS the average age of matriculating first years?

i bet it's somewhere between 24 and 30. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
I attended my gf's law school graduation yesterday. Oldest graduating student was 58. Youngest was 24.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:10:31 PM »
Somewhere I read the average age of 1L was 27.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:37:09 PM »
One of the only things that has weirded me out about my future status as 1L Quasi-Geezer is the possibility that my former students will be my upperclass colleagues.  I did my masters in a program notorious for being a law school feeder, and many of my students are already 2- and 3Ls. 
But at the end of the day, that's just pride talking and I really don't think it'll be a big deal.  Otherwise, I look so much younger than my age that most people probably won't believe me anyway.  For once the baby face may come in handy!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »
Interesting parallel question is:  how young is too young to begin law school?  Again, I don't think there's a universal qualification here.  However, over the last 15 years the trend seems to have been for students to finish UG in ever-decreasing time.  I have to wonder whether the average 20-year-old has enough perspective and self-knowledge to make a well-informed decision about the law school investment.  I'm not sure I did, but perhaps things have changed.

If I had elected not to do an easier UG degree, like doing a poli-sci degree instead of just a minor, I would've graduated about a year and a half ago and entered law school after that at age 20. Law school is not some idea that people only get after working for a while. I, for instance, have been thinking about law school since about 10th grade.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »
Also, as far as how old I think is too old, I think it is an individual decision. I, however, would not consider going to law school if I were over 30. I think I would enjoy the type of job I could get as an engineer would be enjoyable enough and after working for 8+ years by the time I was 30, I would find it difficult to leave a good job in order to pursue a career where I would be significantly older upon graduation than other new applicants. I see people all the time in engineering who do this, and it always seems like they're going to have a very tough time working their way up to a solid position in engineering due to their age.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »
Considering the reasons for attending law school, I would say no age is too old. For instance, someone may have always wanted to get a J.D., but life took them other directions. Perhaps in retirement, it could be a practical goal for them to achieve that dream, even if they have no intention of ever taking the bar or practicing. People often undertake College for the sole desire of achieving the goal, I see no reason some people would not feel the same way about law school.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 04:14:27 PM »
I would think that money would be a factor when discussing age.  If going to law school in your 50s means you will be bankrupt in retirement, then that would be a mistake.  But if you've built your weath and want to spend it on a law degree then use that degree to teach, for example, then there is no reason someone in their late 50s or 60s could go.

I would think someone doing a law degree past 40 should either be wealthy or have a plan with regard to what they want to get out of the degree.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:35:13 PM »
my dad started at age 40