Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where to find starting salary stuff?  (Read 522 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
where to find starting salary stuff?
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
anyone know of a reliable place to find stats about first year starting salaries without having to subscribe to the site? Not a debate on their value, I recognize they are averages and sometimes self reported, etc, but would like to see them.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Re: where to find starting salary stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
grads... CM and L & C in particular, but either public or private. Yes, starting salaries.

HLTrotskey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 03:45:20 AM »
Check here for somewhat dated information (ca. 2001) on starting salaries, and estimates of how long it will take to pay back your debt:

http://www.deloggio.com/choosing/debt.htm

Re: Cleveland State: Note that the school itself does not publish such data on its website, and compare this "failure to disclose approach" to what's revealed by this data regarding the class of 2004 from Case Western, the better ranked school in the very same legal market (available at http://www.law.case.edu/careers/prospective/content.asp?id=167):

What was the average salary for class of 2004 graduates?*
Of a total class size of 217, 82 out of the 213 known graduates reported their salary information. The median salary for Class of 2004 graduates was $65,000.

In private practice, the median salary was $80,000.
In government, the median salary was $45,000.
In business, the median salary was $58,000.
In public interest, the median salary was $42,000.

A couple comments:

Note that Case's private practive median for 2004, is lower than what the Deloggio site (using the US News data, I think) reports as the AVERAGE salary for a Case Grad in 2001. Note, too, how few graduates actually reported their salary--it's less than half of them. How reliable could these numbers be, in fact?

Note, too, that Deloggio has CSU grads making a mere $60K on average--might the number here be inflated like the one for Case is? Probably. Deloggio has CSU grads making on average $25K a year less than Case grads; if that's the case, then the average CSU grad makes around $40K, were you to begin with Case's 2004 average salary. Hell, you'd be better off being a waiter at a decent restaurant.

Is a CSU grad's salary typically that abysmal? Who knows? Call and ask. See if they'll be willing to give you their placement data and average starting salary information in at least as much detail as Case does. The schools are in the same market, after all. If they can't be forthright about this, you might be wise to think twice about investing in them.   

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:45:42 AM »
Thank you for the thoughtful response! I will check it out.

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »
According to ILRG (www.ilrg.org) The Public/Private medians are 43K/70K for Cleveland-Marshall and 41K/55K for L & C. HTH.
UVA '09