• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »
:)
LSN

SCgrad

Re: Why do people not recycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:30:24 PM »
I seperate my rubbish into 8 catagories, what do you do?

(plastic bottles, glass, cans, cardboard, newspaper/magazines/books, batteries/lightbulbs, burnable rubbish, and non-burnable rubbish)

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
  • A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:32:33 PM »
Ummmmm how about because it's energetically INEFFICIENT in most cases? In that the process of collecting, sorting and recycling nearly all "recyclable" materials consumes far more in the way of fossil fuels than does simply burying the old and making the new?

EDIT: I'm all for re-using, but recylcing is one of the greatest scams of the conscience of modern times.
Stop being so cryptic, fuckers.

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:34:19 PM »
Ummmmm how about because it's energetically INEFFICIENT in most cases? In that the process of collecting, sorting and recycling nearly all "recyclable" materials consumes far more in the way of fossil fuels than does simply burying the old and making the new?

there's an option for that.  duh.

I just got polleditpwned.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:36:16 PM »

EDIT: I'm all for re-using, but recylcing is one of the greatest scams of the conscience of modern times.

is fossil fuel use the only concern?  and i recycle cause it is the law here.

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:39:04 PM »
It doesn't make a difference.
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:41:51 PM »

Sorry -- what I should have said is "all carbon-based fuels." I can't speak to "alternative" energies, but I know that recycling is generally inefficient in terms of most "traditional" forms of energy, including those that are used to plant, grow and sustainably harvest trees and the molecular building blocks of other recyclables.

So unless you think trees have souls, I'm not sure what there is to be concerned about BESIDES fossil fuels.

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:44:30 PM »

Sorry -- what I should have said is "all carbon-based fuels." I can't speak to "alternative" energies, but I know that recycling is generally inefficient in terms of most "traditional" forms of energy, including those that are used to plant, grow and sustainably harvest trees and the molecular building blocks of other recyclables.

So unless you think trees have souls, I'm not sure what there is to be concerned about BESIDES fossil fuels.

i would think the amount of space we have to bury trash would be a concern.

SCgrad

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 12:03:05 AM »
since i'm kinda sorta talking out of my ass, i figured someone would pwn me on that last comment...

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 12:04:18 AM »
since i'm kinda sorta talking out of my ass, i figured someone would pwn me on that last comment...

Ummmm I haven't heard that that's a serious concern. Why do you think it is? (That's the best I can do.)