Law School Discussion

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
interesting.  i guess you're right to an extent.

but then where do the French-speakers come from.  I'm pretty sure they French school system sucks balls just like our does, and all the l33t schools in African nations are pretty much reserved for whites (and the blacks who do get in are in line for big bucks at home, they wouldn't come here)

Some program set up to increase their numbers which is obviously working? Are you seeing them everywhere, or just at a specific company? And I'm not sure about your assertion that the native Africans who do well in their country aren't likely to leave it...I think they are more likely to leave, but they still maintain strong ties to the home country.

I work in IT consulting and to be honest, you are right to a certain extent. I know of about 1 African American consultants in my group, of all the black people in consulting, most of them are Africans. And when I do come in contact with other firms during our work, the few blacks that I have met are also Africans. And when I say Africans, I mean African immigrants etc. Most of my colleagues are Indians and White.

That's something to chew on, because I never thought of that. It could be that African Americans aren't going the IT route. But I had two AA friend with whom I graduated college, and from the same program. The only thing I can think of now is that they both didn't do so well in school.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Law, Medical, and Engineering, are more stable careers and have a more stable salary and carry more prestige in the black community. (Mediacl primarily)

Law, Medical, and Engineering, are more stable careers and have a more stable salary and carry more prestige in the black community. (Mediacl primarily)

Definitely, and this also applies very heavily to Africans. I was headed towards a medical degree, of course with so much love from the parents, until I found my love for techie stuff, my siblings can carry that torch in my wake. That said though, IT pays a lot  more than certain Engineering jobs and I would go out on a limb, and also say that IT jobs are also more stable these days than Engineering jobs. Law and Medicine are professions that are forever, I think IT will be joining them soon, if it's not up there already.

But yeah, I wish more Africans Americans would venture into so many other fields, that's why there's still so uch racism in America.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• View Profile
    • Email
Chemical Engineering is the second highest paying bachelors degree coming out of college next to accounting.

^^^ Now that hiring policy is soooo wrong on so many levels.

With my firm, we go through the process that law schools use at OCI. You sign up for interviews on the schoo's internal site, with GPA cutoffs etc, and then go interview. The interviews took a day, you get interviewed by 4 different people, and 1 of these 4 is a partner. Basically, if you don't have the right GPA, you won't even get the chance to be seen. I'm very sure that some people go in through the back door. Yeah, all that who-you-know is what's killing diversity in corporate America. We dont have any hispanics, but we have a handful of Chineese, and Korean folks. Very interesting observation though.

Chemical Engineering is the second highest paying bachelors degree coming out of college next to accounting.

And how many chemical engineers do you know out there actually working IN chemical Engineering??? I can tell you of 2 chemical engineers that I know who are working doing stuff COMPLETELY different from what they went to school for, because engineering jobs are hard to find. At least if you go to school for anything IT related, you can bet your last dime that there's a job waiting for you somewhere.

But you are right though, chemical engineering is definitely higher paying.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• View Profile
    • Email
They could be cleaning toilets but they're still the second highest paid major (Forbes). They must be doing somthing.....

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
I do not agree that IT/Systems and Business Analyst is not a racially diverse field. Most Black Males who go to college major in these areas. Also here in DC companies like Raytheon, CSC, Lockheed Martin, etc... have a good number of black employees and males at that. It depends on your area. If you are in DC, NO, ATL, Charlotte, and other places with high black populations you will see more blacks with those jobs.

^^^ Yep, there are a ton of blacks in IT, I beleive the point I was making is that most of the blacks I've come across in the course of my careers so far have not been African Americans.