Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Philosophy course... Intro to Logic  (Read 1792 times)

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
Philosophy course... Intro to Logic
« on: August 12, 2004, 01:18:18 AM »
In another thread it was recommended that those interested in preparing for the LSAT take a Philosophy course in logic. I read this today and acted upon it. I am now taking a course that my graduation has no use for... but I am sure will be a worthy investment when it comes LSAT time.

PL-160 Intro to Logic 11-11:50 AM M-Thursday... all thanks to this forum. (its also costing me an extra $500 cause I am 2 credits over the "standard" course load of 12-16 with 18)

Anyways. Who has taken such a course and then the LSAT?

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
Re: Philosophy course... Intro to Logic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:19:56 AM »
Well, I have taken the course and am currently preparing for the LSAT, and I agree 100%.
Definitely helps on the LR.  Somewhat helps on the games.

I think it has helped me improve my speed on the games, and helped to break down arguments in the LR. 

For what it's worth, I also thought it was a fun class.  I imagine anyone serious about law school would agree!  ;D
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:32:21 AM »
I have taken Logic and the time and money is better spent on studying the LSAT specifically.  Logic is a fine course, but definitely not needed for LSAT.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:43:57 AM »
But I think if you aren't taking the LSAT until June, the logic class is a good grounding, or way to help "format" the way your brain works.

Then dive into the LSAT materials.  I'm not suggesting you replace LSAT study with an Intro to Logic class if the LSAT is 2 months away.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:46:07 AM »
it wont hurt, but its certainly not neccessary.  in my opinion all the time you are going to spend in that logic class would be much better spent doing actual lsat preparation.  there are only certain elements of logic used on the lsat so you would be much better off to devote your time to mastering only those.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 04:46:44 AM »
Well, I am also preparing for the LSAT by doing the practice tests, reading the Princeton Review book, LSAT Bible, etc. etc.

I figured this class would help too. Also, I emailed the Professor before signing up and he replied right away. We exchanged a few emails and he seemed really cool. Cool enough that I was interested in his class. I guess you could say I am taking it for many reasons; lsat prep being one of them.

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 04:56:18 AM »
I imagine an introductory logic course would be very useful.

Through my college career to date, I've taken an introducory logic course like the one you're got there (what book are you using, by the way?) and two semesters of introductory computational logic.

I score very well on the practice tests I've taken, and I'm certain that those courses were helpful.  Plus, everone should take a basic logical reasoning course - it'll be helpful everywhere.

Now on top of that I've taken a first-order logic class where the final was to prove the completeness of basic propositional logic (it took 26 handwritten pages to do that  :P) and a semester on Gödel's incompleteness theorem where the final was to prove said theorem.  Those were two of the three hardest classes I've taken, and while I'm immesely proud of myself for completing them, I don't think they contributed any to my scores, so don't overdo it.  :)

Minc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 10:49:55 AM »
I took Intro to Logic my sophomore year to fulfill a requirement. Later, when I decided to apply to law school, I read several articles that mentioned that law schools like to see that students have taken courses like this (along with all the typical courses to improve reading, writing, and analytical skills). I just took the June LSAT and the only thing I thought was helpful from the class was knowing the contrapositive and how to use it. Of course, you can simply get this from any LSAT prep book. So I guess I'd say that the course isn't necessary to do well on the LSAT (you really don't need to know the rules of formal logic), but it may look good to have that course on your transcript. If you decide you still want to take it and this is not your last semester in school, maybe you could postpone the course til next semester and avoid the additional tuition costs?

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »
I took that course before the LSAT.  25 years before.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 05:08:54 PM »
You may regret it when you are up to your neck in those damn proofs.   ;)  That class was seriously a female dog, at least the one I took.