Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Advise Needed  (Read 2478 times)

runnin_skeerd

LSAT Advise Needed
« on: February 01, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »
Here's the scoop:  I'm a non-traditional student who took about 10 years off from my first try at college.  During that first run I racked up 102 credit hours and a UGPA of 2.195.  I am now finishing up at another university.  I will graduate soon with a graduating UGPA of 3.85 (+ or -).  I am well aware that the LSDAS will somehow combine the old UGPA and the new UGPA to get some aweful figure that is not indicative of my current progress.  I am signed up for the June 14, 2004 LSAT.  In my practice testing under timed conditions I'm scoring anywhere from a 145 to 158.  My problem area is Logic Reasoning (I'm not doing bad on the Logic Games believe it or not).  Any advise or words of wisdom?  Am I a hopeless cause as far as actually getting into law school?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: LSAT Advise Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 11:19:27 AM »
I can't remember exactly what LSDAS does to one's GPA, but they do mess around with it a little when you've been to different schools.  I'm pretty sure they also list a "GPA from degree granting institution" so your 3.85 should still show up on there somewhere.

Law Schools will hopefully consider the fact that your earlier GPA was a long time ago and not indicative of your actual performance.

For the LSAT: You have a lot of time between now and June.  I'd read a prep-book or two (they have lots of hints and strategy) and think about taking an LSAT class.  Practice practice practice!  I don't think one's LSAT score has much to do with how well he or she does in law school, so even if you don't do that well, don't think that it means you won't do well once you actually get to law school.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »
I t has been said that if you have taken university credits and your grades are 5 years old (in your case two-fold) then your work experience LSAT score and LOR's will play the largest role. Since you decided to go back to school after 5 years hence, then your 3.85 GPA will be given much more weight over your combined (LSDAS) GPA although it will be there these considerations will be taken into account according in my opinion and based on my research.
I hope this helps.
Ivy_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 05:00:04 PM »
I agree, your more recent GPA should reflect positively on you and they will likely give it more weight.

Is logical reasoning the only part of the LSAT that's giving you real trouble? If so, maybe a tutor would help. If you could use improvement in other areas as well, I'd take a full class.

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 11:05:50 PM »
I wonder what you've tried thus far in terms of the LR section? Since not a lot of advice has been given concerning the LR section, I'll try to help because I know it's really frustrating.

This was my most problematic section, but I studied PR's "Cracking the LSAT" and Nova's "Master the LSAT" by Kolby. It took quite a while, but I slowly but surely got better and better at the LR section.

A lot of people don't like PR's book because a lot of them say it's too simplistic or common sense, but I found the simplistic nature of it to be what I liked. They put the techniques in a way that was easy to understand. Admittedly, it was stuff I did naturally know. But the fact that they put it all together in an easy-to-read manner is what helped make the difference and bring the tips more to my attention so that I could be more conscious of them while taking the test. Most people love Nova's book, though.

I just kept studying these two books the most, as well as working on real practice problems with my Kaplan workbooks, books from LSAC and the real LSAT problems in Nova's book without timing myself until I was really comfortable with approaching LR and then started timing myself more, saving the newer exams for last.

Whenever I timed myself while I was having trouble with this section, I could miss as much as 20-25 in both sections combined, even after I completed Kaplan. But when I didn't time myself, I could miss as little as 11 or 12 in both sections combined. I knew I needed to cut the latter in half or less under timed conditions to get the score I wanted, so I stopped timing myself until I got to that point. I also would stop studying for a few days and take my mind off it and usually would do better when I got back into it. I think studying too much can hurt after a while, so I sometimes felt the need to back off whenever I started doing worse (for example, by the end of Kaplan, I was down to missing 12 in all on the LR sections and then shot back up to missing 20 again within a month after the class...I feel I had been studying too much for too long).

You can send me a private message for tips if you need to.

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 11:21:04 AM »
I've heard that ordering the "10 Actual LSAT Tests" from LSAT is an excellent way to prep.  However, it appears to me that those tests are much older ones?  Is this true or they the actual last 10 given?  I would much rather order them individually if more the recent exams will help me than older ones.  Or is it "if you've seen one exam you've seen 'em all"?

Also, all in all, what seems to be the best method for prepping?  Working slowly through tips and tricks or just busting out exam after exam to build up speed?  Its just hard to believe that only working previous exams is enough but I don't speak from experience.

Thanks.

RF
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »
They are actual LSAT's but they are older.

While all practice is good, I would check ebay etc. for more recent tests. If all else fails, you can order the most recent from LSDAS at $8 apiece.

But the more practice you can get, the better off you are, regardless of the age of the test.

Karen W.

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 09:46:21 PM »
thank you karen.

:)
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

Victor

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 09:55:32 PM »
I've heard that ordering the "10 Actual LSAT Tests" from LSAT is an excellent way to prep.  However, it appears to me that those tests are much older ones?  Is this true or they the actual last 10 given?  I would much rather order them individually if more the recent exams will help me than older ones.  Or is it "if you've seen one exam you've seen 'em all"?

Also, all in all, what seems to be the best method for prepping?  Working slowly through tips and tricks or just busting out exam after exam to build up speed?  Its just hard to believe that only working previous exams is enough but I don't speak from experience.

Thanks.

RF

Yes, everyone says practicing with real LSAT's is the way to go but what if you still need help in your methods. What if you dont know what you are doing.  Some people say finding out why you are getting the answers wrong yourself is the best way. I dont think working with previous exams is enough.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 07:27:56 AM »
Working slowly through tips and tricks or just busting out exam after exam to build up speed?  Its just hard to believe that only working previous exams is enough but I don't speak from experience.

Missed this part originally, sorry.

Working through the practice tests is one thing. Working through the practice test and understanding why each answer is correct is a whole different thing.

I would recommend both - working the tips & tricks and working as many practice exams as possible. Believe me, after you sit for the LSAT, you'll truly wish you would've take a couple more practice.

Karen W.