;

Poll

Help me out...

Cleveland Marshall
 14 (70%)
Lewis & Clark
 6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Okay, final choice-- Cleveland Marshall FREE or Lewis & Clark for $42000 a yr  (Read 1450 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
If I stay in Ohio and go to school part time at Cleveland Marshall, my work will pay for school and all my books. Additionally I get a big xmas bonus, a raise, and I will then start vesting in my retirement program. Net Value including wages: approximately $+52000

If I move out to Oregon and go to school full time at Lewis & Clark I have to pay all living expenses and tuition with big fat student loans (about half of which are private loans and have higher interest rates. The school is ranked higher, and someday I'd like to live out there. Net Value approximately $-42000

There is a difference of about $94000 in net value.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If I stay in Ohio and go to school part time at Cleveland Marshall, my work will pay for school and all my books. Additionally I get a big xmas bonus, a raise, and I will then start vesting in my retirement program. Net Value including wages: approximately $+52000

If I move out to Oregon and go to school full time at Lewis & Clark I have to pay all living expenses and tuition with big fat student loans (about half of which are private loans and have higher interest rates. The school is ranked higher, and someday I'd like to live out there. Net Value approximately $-42000

There is a difference of about $94000 in net value.

what are the odds that you will keep this job for four years--aka, is there a chance that they might let you go/outsource your position etc... OR if law school becomes too much then you are stuck.

either school is regional, i would be really tempted to go for free. just b/c you start your legal career in cleveland doesn't mean you can't move. and if you do really well first year maybe you can find a way to transfer to Case.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I would have to agree with greengrl but I'm seriously overly practical.  If I hadn't gotten into my local school I would not have gone to law school because I didn't want to lose the security of my salary.  I think if your work will pay your tuition, I would have a very hard time turning that down, even if it was my dream to move to Portland.  Trust me, Portland is nice, but it's not the end all be all.  If it turns out that you just can't live if it's not in Portland, then transfer into L&C PT. 

As a final note, I've talked to a couple L&C alums here and they have all told me how much they hate the huge debt they have.  A couple told me that they don't know if it was worth it (after they told me I was smoking crack for going to LS)...L&C is probably not going to get you a huge paying job (because there aren't that many in Portland) so keep that in mind.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
i turned down l&c for a full ride to toledo.  there's no way i could justify going to a school w/ a lower average starting salary for full price.  i don't care if they do have a waterfall on campus.  :)  plus l&c has a b- curve that could really screw you when it comes time to transfer or get a job.  go to cleveland state.  the school is well respected and their average starting salary dwarfs l&c. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Thank you guys SO much for your help. I am going to do the C-M thing part time for now... even if it turns out I need to leave my job & go full time, I will have saved a semesters tuition and recieved at least $9000 in income over that semester I wouldn't have otherwise. And you guys are right, the salarys out of CM are higher, I can always transfer, I can always move out west after I graduate, and I have a huge safety net here as well. I will be able to live comfortably and not have to graduate in huge debt.

AGH I love you all. Every one of you.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Good choice.  Make sure you put that money away toward retirement!!!  That should be your #1 priorty and it's the easiest thing to let slip and the hardest thing to recover.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Oh I am TOTALLY with you. My last job was as a financial planner's assistant :) One of the other huge benefits is that I become vested in our retirement plan and I can keep sacking away large sums into my IRA--I intend to max it out every year, especially because early money is the fattest when you get out.

PHEW. Plus now I can get a posh apartment and a cool laptop.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
See, that alone should get you revved up about the school you chose.  If you change your mind and want to transfer to L&C next year, just drop me a line and I will help in any way I can.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Thank you so much :) Man, this board is way better than paying for a shrink :)

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
If you have to ask, you're a duba$$... Chronic debt load is a terrible problem among law school graduates and represents one of the primary causes of stress and strife in a young lawyers life. It also puts pressure on the graduate to pad books, overbill, and succumb easily to dishonesty and unprofessionalism, not to mention marital and personal problems (alcohol, infidelity, drugs, depression). All this from student loans, you ask? Yes, it's true... If you can get a free ride, it really doesn't matter where you go. ABA accreditation is all the same. Plus you'll have at least some peace of mind. Being a lawyer is stressful enough... why make it worse? :-[
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"