Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: private loans  (Read 1370 times)

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
private loans
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »
How has everyone gone about securing private loans?  I'm thinking of using the Access Group, but have no clue if it's the best decision.  My tuition is due on Monday and as of right now I'm going to borrow from my parents until my loans kick in.  I hope they can let me send that check to them because at that point my tuition will be paid.  I'm also holding out a glimmer of hope of getting accepted off a waitlist so how will that work with my Stafford and private loans??  I'm so clueless when it comes to paying for school.  I was fortunate enough not to have to worry about it for undergrad and now it's all piling on top of me.  Advice?  Suggestions? 

Louder Than Bombs

Re: private loans
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:32:03 AM »
This is a bit late in the game, no? You should really have your loans in order. Your loans will be disbursed to your school account on the dates set by your school (after you apply for a loan the lender contacts the school, and the school must certify the amount you requested - during this time the school gives the lender the appropriate disbursement dates)...

The loan money is first disbursed to your school account...your school then deducts any tuition/fees, and then cuts you a check for the remaining balance...

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 12:12:53 PM »
I applied with the Access Group and was approved (well it said my application was approved so I'm assuming it means my loan was approved.)  I guess it's up to the school to certify it and give me the money.  In the meantime, I'll pay for tuition and hope it doesn't take too long for the loan to kick in.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 01:17:58 PM »
How has everyone gone about securing private loans?  I'm thinking of using the Access Group, but have no clue if it's the best decision.  My tuition is due on Monday and as of right now I'm going to borrow from my parents until my loans kick in.  I hope they can let me send that check to them because at that point my tuition will be paid.  I'm also holding out a glimmer of hope of getting accepted off a waitlist so how will that work with my Stafford and private loans??  I'm so clueless when it comes to paying for school.  I was fortunate enough not to have to worry about it for undergrad and now it's all piling on top of me.  Advice?  Suggestions? 

Hey Shoes.  I went with the Access Group.  Everything has been smooth with them.  Hope to see you at SW!  Good luck!
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 01:22:32 PM »
First off........ what an adorable little puppy!!! 

I wish I were going to SW!!!  I'm still on the waitlist.  I'm headed to New Orleans in just a bit to go to Loyola.  All my things are in storage and I'm staying in a hotel in hopes that I'll be accepted from the waitlist at SW.  I just hope all this extra expense isn't for nothing!

Good luck to you at SW!!  May I what their limit is that they they certify loans for? 

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 01:57:24 PM »
Being an evening student with a full-time day job, I just max out my Stafford loans. That's $8500 per year subsidized and $10,000 per year unsubsidized.  Everything else I pay out of pocket.

Good luck to you either way!  Let me know if you end up out here (I have some class outlines I can give you).

First off........ what an adorable little puppy!!! 

I wish I were going to SW!!!  I'm still on the waitlist.  I'm headed to New Orleans in just a bit to go to Loyola.  All my things are in storage and I'm staying in a hotel in hopes that I'll be accepted from the waitlist at SW.  I just hope all this extra expense isn't for nothing!

Good luck to you at SW!!  May I what their limit is that they they certify loans for? 
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 01:43:41 AM »
i used citibank for my private loans and access group for my federal loans... neither place changed an origination fee.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 04:04:09 AM »
First of all, LTB is a pompous ass, so ignore his better-than-thou tone and comments.

Regarding your question, it does not take long to process loans, so if you apply now you ought to be able to get a disbursement within a month or less. 

I used CitiAssist because they offered me the lowest rate, but the rate offered varies based upon your credit and ability to provide a co-signer.  You definitely need to shop around to secure the best possible rate, because my experienced has showed that the rates offered by different lenders vary significantly. 

Good luck!

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 04:33:34 AM »
Thank you so much!!!  I would love to see your class outlines.  But first things first........... I need be accepted.  I should probably give up on it, but I just can't help but hope I'll still get the call.  I'm hoping orientation is mandatory and the waitlist can begin moving next Wednesday.  I'd love to get my things out of storage soon!

You have a good deal going part time.  I should probably do the same to save some $$$ but I'll be living on loans for the next 3 years.  Trying to be optimistic...... if I don't get into SW at least I'll save on cost of living right?  *sigh*

Thanks EEE and Ruskiegirl.  Thank goodness my credit is decent - I was approved by the time I finished filling out my application online.  Now how I'm going to continue paying the credit card bill every month while going to school is another story.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
Don't listen to ruskie - she's just mad because someone dropped a house on her sister...oh, and she couldn't break a 160 on the LSAT...

Gotta love those diversity admits!