Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dickinson Wait List  (Read 2759 times)

theafterglow

• View Profile
    • Email
Dickinson Wait List
« on: February 01, 2004, 05:33:43 AM »
I've just been notified that I'm on the wait list for Dickinson, which is my top choice. I've been accepted to Duquesne, West Virginia and Widener. My lsat was a 152 and I have a 3.53 GPA. Dickinson says they will look at wait list candidates starting in mid-May. This of course, is after the other schools want seat deposits. Duquesne is probably my top choice of the schools I've been accepted to. I guess I'm going to send in my seat deposit to Duquesne. If I go to anywhere other than Widener or Dickinson, I'm going to have to make living arrangements well in advance. Although I'd like to go to Dickinson, I'm thinking that I should probably just plan on going to Duquesne. I'm not sure what my question is exactly. I'm just posting here I guess because I'm kind of bummed out. What is the chance of being selected off a wait list, I guess is my question? And if I am selected, it'll likely be in August, won't it? By that time, it'd be too late to back out of living arrangements for Duquesne. Anyone have any advice. I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Dickinson Wait List
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 12:39:54 PM »
Wait lists work like this I am told:
Say a school has 2,000 applicants and 350 seats. School X offers acceptance letters to 275 while reviewing the apps they ten select 60 more from the applicant pool.

So so far School X has sent out 335 admits but several of theses admits may wither not matriculate or have already told the school they have accepted elsewhere and have/will not pay for a seat deposit. Then school X in desperation to make the class fro that year full they make a waitlist a little while passes while many have been put on that list.

If the seats have some been resended and others not filled this is when people off the waiting list (by order of seniority) receive admits.

Hope this helps you,
Ivy_ Hopeful (Darrell)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

cmt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »
I am surprised to be wait-listed this early in the application process!  I have also been wait listed at Dickinson, which is also my first choice school.  I have been accepted at Widener and am waiting to hear from Univ of MD and Univ of Baltimore.  I was also told by the Admissions Committee at Dickinson that they make decisions on the wait list up until the first week of school...... and I, too am concerned about the "living situation." 

Anyway, you are not alone ...that is for sure.

cmt

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 02:44:04 PM »
I recommend going to Duquesne, then, if you REALLY hate the school, you can transfer to Dickinson for your 2nd year.  This way you won't have to risk not having a law school to attend and you'll have your housing situation under wraps.

Ivy_Hopeful is correct about the waitlist.

cmt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 11:54:03 AM »
Is it possible to get pulled from wait list and moved to acceptance list before May 1st?  I asked the Admissions Committee this and they were hesitant in answering the question......

cmt