Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blue collar jobs?  (Read 1218 times)

thinkingaboutlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Blue collar jobs?
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
 Just wondering if any nontrads on here are working at or have worked at a blue collar type job before or while attending law school? I currently work in a factory warehouse while going to school full time. I also have seven years in the national guard with two deployments under my belt. I will probably be applying to University of louisville school of law in about three years. I will be twenty eight years old. Does anybody here know if me working in a factory will look bad on my application? or will my time in the military balance that out? I am married with two children. Will the admission council look at all these factors? or am I just wasting my time?

Danni

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blue collar jobs?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:16:51 PM »
Where you work will take backseat to your scores. Put as much effort into your gpa and lsat as you can. Other than that, working in a factory can play to your advantage (in a ps talking about understanding the struggles of the average man/woman, and how it has shown you how to be humble and committed to helping those who struggle), etc.

Don't rely on military history to help that much. For some more liberal schools it could even be a hindrance. Just focus on what your dreams are, and work on the things you have control over (like scores, lors, and your demonstration of comunity service).

Is working in a blue collar job a deterant? Heck no! I worked one for years, and was a stay at home mom for years, and I got into my top choice-the school I've wanted to attend since I was 14.

Best of luck!!
Danni

kickinvikk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:18:10 PM »
I don't think it will.  I worked as a bartender while I was in college and after I got my degree I worked as a sales rep for a wine and liquor distributor.  I only applied to two schools and was accepted at both.  Good luck.

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
Where you work will take backseat to your scores. Put as much effort into your gpa and lsat as you can. Other than that, working in a factory can play to your advantage (in a ps talking about understanding the struggles of the average man/woman, and how it has shown you how to be humble and committed to helping those who struggle), etc.

Don't rely on military history to help that much. For some more liberal schools it could even be a hindrance. Just focus on what your dreams are, and work on the things you have control over (like scores, lors, and your demonstration of comunity service).

Is working in a blue collar job a deterant? Heck no! I worked one for years, and was a stay at home mom for years, and I got into my top choice-the school I've wanted to attend since I was 14.

Best of luck!!
Danni

a hendrance?  where do you guys hear this stuff?
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

Danni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:53:30 PM »
There have been a couple people posting on this board who were not accepted to very liberal schools that their numbers were in range of. Many of them have attributed their waitlisting/deferals/rejections to having served in the military in a time when so many express anti-war/soldier mentality.

Now, please don't take this to mean I think that's appropriate. I'm an vet's brat, and strong supporter of the armed forces (living 10 minutes from a USAF base tends to help nurture that bond).

All I'm saying is, service may not be a huge factor in admissions. Best to focus on lsat and gpa success.

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »
Military = Leadership skills

Thats all there is to it. When the schools look at an application from someone who served in the military, thats all they see, and it could help. Anyone who attributes a rejection to the fact that they served is delusional.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:08:13 PM »
Military = Leadership skills

Thats all there is to it. When the schools look at an application from someone who served in the military, thats all they see, and it could help. Anyone who attributes a rejection to the fact that they served is delusional.

exactly
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »
There have been a couple people posting on this board who were not accepted to very liberal schools that their numbers were in range of. Many of them have attributed their waitlisting/deferals/rejections to having served in the military in a time when so many express anti-war/soldier mentality.

I know lots and lots of rabid Bush haters, people who think the war in Iraq is a complete and utter lie, and not one of them would be anti-soldier.  I can't think of anyone who has expressed an anti-soldier sentiment, much less "so many" people doing so.  This is a huge mischaracterization of the "liberal" viewpoint, one engineered by certain disingenuous conservatives who don't want to debate the war on its merits, but instead call any anti-war mentality "anti-soldier."

Okay, rant over.  But it is a BIG pet peeve of mine.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn